From:
Mike Rabinovitch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 1995 21:19:52 MST
As a devout Colorado College hockey fan I have seen some awesome and
incredible things happen in the past four years.  I have also seen some
terrible things happen.  The sweetest thing that happened to our program was
the incredible worst to first turn around as we won the MacNoughton Cup for
the first time in 37 years.  We edged out Minnesota by one point on the final
night of the season.  Then came the biggest travesty; no invitation to the
national tourney.  That's another story.
        The demolishing of the Broadmoor World Arena in Colorado Springs was
by far the most disheartening thing that could happen to Tiger Hockey fans.
The old Barn was dripping with history and oozed all kinds of college hockey
memories and lore.  The 4300 seat arena was literally a barn, and the tiny
skating surface was an abberation among present day olympic size sheets.
During my four years (three years watching at the broadmoor from the press
box), I've seen plenty a sell out.  The student section, the east end zone,
filled with rowdy hockey enthusiasts, could get the entire place fired up in no
time.  The seats were practically on the ice.  There was just barely room
enough for two people to pass each other while walking around the rink, right
next to the glass.  Teams were apprehensive about playing there.  The size of
the ice made the game much more physical, as there was no place to skate
around.  Bone crushing hits ignited the crowd, and after a timely goal against
Wisconsin, Minnesota and especially Denver, the crowd would erupt into a
frenzy.
        CC owned what was probably the biggest home ice advantage in the NCAA
until it was torn down because it's property value became too high to waste as
an ice rink.  I guess the opportunity cost was too great not to tear down the
rink in favor of condos.  Someone had their head up their you know what.  Oh
well.

GO TIGERS!!  ONE MORE MACNOUGHTON AND WE'LL SEE YOU IN PROVIDENCE!!

Mike Rabinovitch  CC '95