Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 1991 12:36:09 EDT
----- Begin Included Message -----
From: John Grover <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      NCAA eligibility and the olympics

How is NCAA eligibility affected if a player participates on the
Olympic team? If this is the last year of a players NCAA eligibility,
does it mean he will not be able to come back next year and play another
college season? I know there is a possibility a player can finish the
olympics and still play a few games with his team, but can
he somehow choose to save his last year?

Are any of the Olympic team players in this situation?

Has anyone any info on the Candian Olympic team roster?

John Grover University of Maine
----- End Included Message -----

Kevin Miller (Michigan State) played in the last Olympics with one year
of eligibility remaining and returned to play again at MSU.  As I recall
he could use his remaining year to finish the College season (which he
chose to do) or return the following year for the full year.  As far as I
know, it still works this way.

Mike Gilmore (MSU goalie) is in that situation this year.  My understanding
is that if he is dropped from the Olympic squad he will return to MSU for
his senior year (wow, has he come a long way from his freshman year!) but
if he makes the Olympics, his move after that is dependent on the
opportunities that arise in the meantime.

Jason Wooley (MSU defenseman) is on the Canadian Olympic team and will not
return this year.  He's a pro prospect and looks like he won't return.