Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 1995 09:26:00 EST
For those scoring at home, Blaine Lacher (LSSU Championship team goalie)
recorded a victory in his first NHL start, as the Boston Bruins topped the
Flyers 4-1 Sunday.  There was some debate prior to the B's season opener
as to who would be between the pipes, Lacher or the more seasoned Vincent
Riendeau. Lacher got the nod, and he responded by playing a solid game.
Word has it that Lacher was scheduled to start the season back in October,
so perhaps this was their plan all along - get the rookie in there early
and see what he can do.  One of the biggest questions this year for the
B's is consistency in net.

The only goal he gave up came when a Flyer picked up a deflected centering
pass and crashed the net - knocking the puck & Lacher into it.  Other than
that minor setback, Lacher made some sparkling saves...and the crowd loved
it. He didn't face that many shots, but he made several great stops when
the game was still close.  Of course, it didn't hurt that Cam Neely scored
a hat trick to open the season and help seal the victory.  I realize it's
only one game, but if Lacher continues to play like that, I think he'll be
around a while and be a crowd favorite here in Boston.

I'd like to think the B's will come back with Lacher again tonight against
the Cup champs in NY.

Dave Hatfield
ULowell'86              Go River Hawks!!