Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 1995 09:43:03 -0400
I think it's great that the BGSU-MSU matchup Saturday is going to be carried by
a major VHF station (WTOL, Channel 11, CBS in Toledo). I'm out in the boonies
and finally put up a dish this summer in order to get ESPN 1 & 2, Prime, and
PASS, but dishes are still the exception out here.  The audience base for
antenna TV should be fantastic.

Someone mentioned the hockey program at the University of Toledo (or lack of a
hockey program). I've always thought that UT would be a natural for the CCHA; a
major metropolitan area (at least as far as most college hockey programs go), a
city that knows hockey and has supported their minor league teams, a natural
rivalry with BG (the Battles of I-75), and a position on the state line with
lots of MSU and UM fans and graduates, a one-hour straight shot to "The Joe",
and the list could go on-and-on.

Several years ago I had the chance to mention the possibility to UT Athletic
Director Al Bohl, who made it clear in no uncertain terms that varsity hockey
would never be a part of UT's plan ("You can't show me a program that makes
money"). After looking at the $$ pumped into the Glass Bowl renovations
(including the corporate suites), I wouldn't think that money was an objective.
Anyway, it's important to know that Al came to UT from Ohio State ... does that
tell you anything?

Bob Hall
BG '72