From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jan 1995 19:00:47 EST
Friday evening at the Husky Invitational, the Concordia University
Stingers and the Providence College Friars played to a 4-4 draw.  At
times Concordia dominated play, but at other times they looked less than
super.  PC played a great game of team defense and was able to press play
just enough to stay with the Stingers.

In the opening period, Karyn Bye (Suzanne Lepage) pulled off a dynamic
solo move, when she skated the puck into the Friars' zone, held on, and
then pulled out of the corner and in front for a goal.  Providence came
back when Amy Carlson (Alison Wheeler) knocked in a rebound.  The play
was all Wheeler coming off an end to end rush.  The Friars made it 1-2 in
the last minute of the first when Wheeler (Catherine Hanson, Emilie
Turcotte) converted on a play out of the corner after tons of pressure by
Concordia.  Stinger Carrie Barkley (Bye, Nancy Deschamps) tied the match
in the middle period during a spell of pressure which produce a three-way
passing play and nice weak side setup.  However, before the period was
over PC had regained the lead at 2-3 when Wheeler (Stephanie O'Sullivan)
put home a half-chance.  Play had been up and down the ice when that PC
break in caused a Concordia defensive error.  In the final period, Beth
Beagan (Cammi Granato) put home the perfect pass.  Granato had dug in
along the boards, gotten the puck and skated in on net before releasing
the wonderful setup.  The goal tied the game after CU had killed a couple
of power plays and had started to press their attack again.  Again the
Friars struck back with O'Sullivan (Wheeler, Karen McCabe) cutting in and
pushing the puck home at the near post.  Concordia kept up the pressure
and in the last minute of play Granato (Martine Berube, Bye) tied the
match.  The Stingers had pulled their goalie for the extra attacker, and
used some brilliant puck movement to change the point of attack enough to
leave Granato with a clear shot on net.

Providence hung loose and together to weather the storm of the Stingers'
attack.  They did so by shorting their bench and making the most of their
chances.  While it was a very good effort by the team, it still remains
sad to see PC without their big attack.  The woman of the match for the
Friars was Wheeler.  Her leadership and strength on the ice is what makes
that team click.  Wheeler's play-making abilities are first-class stuff.
O'Sullivan had a fairly good shooting and skating night.  Kathleen Brophy
back-checked extremely well and was no small reason for the good result.
On defense both Melissa Mills and Hanson had strong games breaking up
plays.  In goal, first-year player Meghan Smith looked very sharp.  She
faced the shooter and made many excellent saves.  Alana Blahoski spend
the first part of the night as a center before returning to her new role
as defender.  I'll have to say while her movement on the blue line
reminds me of Geraldine Heaney (TCW), she needs to develop those
defensive skills a lot, and listen to her partner more, if she is going
to be effective.

Concordia is not as strong as I thought they were.  Coach Les Lawton sure
knows how to teach skating skills.  The entire team skates great.  I
found it extremely interesting to see how well he has the three Team USA
players moving.  Last April in Lake Placid none of these players were
moving nearly as well.  The Stingers could have more purpose to their
attack, but their power/control game is solid.  The woman of the match
for Concordia was the first line: Beagan, Granato and Laurie Cartman.
Beagan's speed seemed to put her in the right spot all the time.  Granato
was demonstrating her fine skating, touch and determination.  Cartman was
a strong skater and an excellent passer.  On the second line, Bye and
Deschamps formed a lively partnership.  Bye has marvelous drive and
power.  Deschamps has wonderful presence and is a smart heads-up player.
They are a fun group of attackers to watch.  The defense is lead by
Michelle Johansson.  Last year I wondered why she was not on Team USA.
Now I wonder even more.  Her fluid strides and pre-eminent puck control
make he one of the best defenders I have seen this season.  I think one
of the little details that I liked best about Concordia was that they
didn't give up early on their power plays.  In fact they usually tried to
extend their pressure for an extra 20-30 seconds.  That's a positive
attitude and one I enjoy watching.

/
 good shooting
 rhun