From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 9 Jun 91 00:55:20 EDT
This is from The Hockey News' June 1991 issue.  All three of these
Quebec teams have played many exhibitions or regular season games against
NCAA teams in the last couple of years, and it will be too bad if they
are forced to drop hockey because of this.

***start***
The CIAU's Ontario Universities Athletic Association will no longer
allow Quebec universities to compete in men's hockey programs after the
1991-92 season.

The OUAA's decision May 16 will affect teams from McGill, Concordia and
the defending CIAU champion Trois Rivieres Patriotes.

Three years ago, when several Quebec schools dropped hockey programs, the
OUAA granted UQTR, Concordia and McGill playing privileges.  But under
OUAA rules, those privileges must be reviewed annually.

OUAA athletic directors voted 9-4 against extending the hockey schedule.

OUAA president Wally Delahey said the action was taken for three reasons:
The exorbitant cost of road trips to Quebec; a lack of fan support; and
the fact road trips cut into students' study time.

"Going to Trois Rivieres is an absolute ordeal," Dr. Bob Boucher of the
University of Windsor said.  "Our student athletes hate it.  Windsor to
Trois Rivieres is simply too much."

Added Brock athletic director Bob Davis:  "Playing them once a year, every
other year at home, didn't build up any interest at all."

But McGill athletic director Robert Dubeau said the decision could
eliminate hockey programs at Quebec schools.

"We could be forced out of hockey and that would be sad because McGill's
hockey team is the oldest in Canada," he said.  "We cannot continue a
$100,000-a-year program to play two other teams."
***end***

I've never looked into this, but, does something prevent these three
schools from joining the ECAC or Hockey East?  I don't expect it to happen,
just more food for thought in this offseason.
Mike Machnik             [log in to unmask]    samsung!hubdub!nin15b34
NORTHEASTERN HUSKIES: 1988 Beanpot & Hockey East Champions
MERRIMACK WARRIORS: 1993 Hockey East Champions
NCAA Hockey -> Fire on Ice!  See you at the 1992 Final Four in Albany, NY!
Go Huntsville Stars (Southern League AA baseball, Oakland A's affiliate)