From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 91 00:53:04 EDT
Another issue I wish I could have added to the poll has come up.  Too
bad I didn't hear about it before now.

I picked this up today.  I'm sending it out word for word, so please don't blame
 me!  I expect it to generate some discussion...

********************official release (5/21/91)********************
HOCKEY EAST EXPANDS PLAYING SCHEDULE
Orono, ME - The Board of Directors of the Hockey East Association has
voted to expand the league's playing schedule from 21 to 28 games,
effective with the 1992-93 season, it was announced today by
Commissioner Stu Haskell.

The action, taken during the Board's annual meeting, came as a result
of a shrinkage of the pool of non-conference opponents caused by the
action of NCAA voting delegates in January to reduce the annual number
of games which may be played in ice hockey from 38 to 34.

This action, Haskell said, has not been accompanied by a corresponding
reduction in the number of conference games played by teams in the other
NCAA Division I conferences.

"Without an increase in the number of our league games," Haskell said,
"it will be virtually impossible for our institutional scheduling officers
to locate enough non-conference games to fill the gap between our current
21-game league schedule and the 34-game limit."

Each Hockey East team will play four games, instead of three, against
each league opponent.

The Directors also voted to permit all eight teams to participate in the
single elimination, quarterfinal round of the 1992 league tournament.
Teams seeded one through four will host teams seeded five through eight,
based on the final in-season league standings.  [This is just a way of
saying that the league decided to allow Lowell, which is on probation and cannot
 compete in the 1992 NCAA tourney even if it wins Hockey East, to
play in the 1992 HE tourney.  If Lowell wins the tourney, HE loses its
automatic bid to the NCAAs for the 1992 tourney.  - mike]

Two awards were established, one to go to the student-athlete deemed to
display the highest level of sportsmanship during the season with the
second award designed to recognize the team which receives the fewest
penalty minutes during the league schedule.  The team will receive a
large banner which will be hung in its home facility.

The Board also voted to introduce legislation at the 1992 NCAA convention
which will more precisely define scholarship players in Division I ice
hockey, as well as establish a cap of 25 on the number of players on any
one team who may receive scholarship aid.

The legislation, if approved, also will require institutions to include
all ice hockey players who are receiving financial aid within their limit
of ice hockey scholarships, even if they are playing another sport at the
institution.

********************end********************

I'm sure people like Keith and the NCAA selection committee are not happy
to hear about this change in the HE schedule.

I wish they had waited to see what happens with Kent entering the CCHA
in 92-93, which WILL force a change in the CCHA's schedule, contrary to
Haskell's comments in this release.

I also wouldn't be surprised if we see a change in the WCHA schedule.  That
could leave HE with the longest league schedule, whereas now they have the
shortest.  Definitely not an action to be hailed by fans of college hockey.
Mike Machnik             [log in to unmask]    samsung!hubdub!nin15b34
NORTHEASTERN HUSKIES: 1988 Beanpot & Hockey East Champions
MERRIMACK WARRIORS: 1993 Hockey East Champions
NCAA Hockey -> Fire on Ice!  See you at the 1992 Final Four in Albany, NY!
Go Huntsville Stars (Southern League AA baseball, Oakland A's affiliate)