From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 91 04:04:08 EDT
Some have mentioned the fact that BU's Jack Parker is being mentioned
as the top candidate for the Bruins' vacant head coaching position and
that this may cause even more coaching changes relatively close to the
dawn of the new season.  The Lawrence Eagle-Tribune (No. Andover, MA)
reports that if Parker does go to the Bruins, Merrimack coach Ron
Anderson will be a top candidate to succeed Parker at BU.  Anderson
played on BU's NCAA championship winning teams in the early 70s, and
BU is known to be very partial to former players.  There are several
other former BU players around as head coaches elsewhere who would also
be candidates, and I'm sure we'll hear all about them again if Parker
does leave BU.

Anderson was supposedly the top candidate for the Northeastern job right
after Don McKenney resigned, but he said he wanted to remain at Merrimack
and I don't believe he was pursued too aggressively.  My personal opinion
is that Anderson has spent too much time building the Merrimack program,
to which he is fiercely loyal, to just walk away from it now.  Although
it is attractive to be considered for the prestigious BU job, where
recruiting would be much easier and publicity comes more readily, I feel
that Anderson would get more personal satisfaction from knowing he took
an average Division II team into Division I and (hopefully) made it into
a strong Division I contender and maybe even eventual champion.  This
seems to be the kind of guy he is; he's not interested in promoting
himself.  He's more of a low-key kind of guy.  I was told as soon as
the Northeastern rumors came out that "he wasn't going anywhere", and I
have to believe that remains true even for BU.  But then again, I've been
wrong on so many coaching changes lately that you probably don't want to
bet a significant amount of cash on this. :-)

Guy, any comment on the possibility of Coach Anderson leaving for BU?

Mike Machnik             [log in to unmask]    samsung!hubdub!nin15b34
NORTHEASTERN HUSKIES: 1988 Beanpot & Hockey East Champions
MERRIMACK WARRIORS: 1993 Hockey East Champions
NCAA Hockey -> Fire on Ice!  See you at the 1992 Final Four in Albany, NY!
Go Huntsville Stars (Southern League AA baseball, Oakland A's affiliate)