From:
"John W. Davis" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John W. Davis
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 1994 18:09:43 EST

> > It seems that at U-M ever since the UM/MSU game there have been sell
> > outs.  I think this is because of the hockey lock out.
> >
> > Any clues at any other arenas?
> >

> >This may be because of the lockout, but here at Minnesota we were pretty
> much sold out before the pro hockey season ended. Plus we don't have a
> NHL team. Even with this year's addition of the Minnesota Moose, the
> Gophers still are pulling in quite a few people. We had one game at
> Mariucci with 9500+ in attendance. It looks like we are on pace to break
> our own  NCAA average attendance record set last season. We have been
> averaging over 9300.
>
>         College hockey is were it's at right now. It's the best game in
> town and I think with more exposure on TV, people are going to turn
> toward college. Plus tickets are cheaper.
>
> RYAN PETERSON
> MINNESOTA GOLDEN GOPHER HOCKEY
> "Minnesota's Pride On Ice"
> 9-2-1

Did MN really set a NC$$ attandence record?  Darn, with the opening
of the new Marinucci (SP?) it looks like WI's stranglehold on
leading the nation in attendence is gone.  Oh BTW what is the
capacity of the new arena (and is the press box still an obstructed
view?)?

Also, from what I here, WI still sells out their home games (about 8500)
and there is still a waiting list to get season tickets!

later
jd

ON WISCONSIN!