Date:
Fri, 24 May 91 11:51:02 LCL
Hi hockey folks-
   Isn't the "offseason" wonderful? We can now spend our time talking about
"important" matters without cluttering the e-mail wires with news about game
results and standings!
   Now that the dust is beginning to settle here, let me try to summarize what
I think is the story at Dartmouth (as of 11:04 am, 5/24/91 - subject to
changes any minute).
   * I don't think that Ben Smith's resignation had anything to do with
disagreements with the administration over admissions or other policies
(before Dick Jaeger's took over as AD 2 years ago, this was a significant
problem). All indications are that Dick Jaeger and the admissions office have
been in full support of Ben's recruiting efforts which, as I mentioned before,
have been quite successful. According to the local paper, Ben approached Dick
to ask if he could talk to NU. Ben was born and raised in Boston, has very
close friends and family in the Boston area, and has always wanted to coach
there. According to the paper, Ben went to Dick and stated that he came to
Dartmouth in good conscience and was committed to the program, but this offer
to coach in Boston was a career opportunity he could not pass up - it was
something he has wanted for years. For his part, Dick was quoted as saying
something like (sorry, I don't have the paper in front of me - I'm at "work")
when a man opens up his heart, you have to let him purue his aspirations.
Ben's meeting with the team seemed to confirm this.
   * The players are disappointed and at least some are "really pissed". They
feel betrayed, although I think that most of them can understand the reasoning
behind Ben's move. Many of the players feel that, no matter what the offer at
NU is like, Ben should have honored his contract and commitment to Dartmouth
and to the players who look up to him. They feel that he should have followed
through on what he started.
   * In terms of a replacement for Ben, a number of names have already
surfaced.
   Roger Demment was the first assistant under Ben. He was the first to apply
for the job and I know that the players really like him. He would also provide
some continuity and could take advantage of the remaining positive spirit
generated by Ben last year. He was involved in the recruiting and could
probably keep the new recruits happy. Roger has had experience as head coach
in France.
   The other prominent name I have heard mentioned is Bob Gaudet, head coach
at Brown. Bob is a Dartmouth alum and was the goalie on Dartmouth's final four
teams in 1979 and 1980 (or was it 80, 81? - ahh, those were the good old days
- our last winning season!). However, according to the local paper, when Bob
was asked about the Dartmouth position (by the press), his initial response
was that he has a fondness for Dartmouth and would enjoy coaching here, but he
has a commitment to Brown and at this time is not considering leaving. This
statement reflects his sentiment, although I do not have the paper here to
provide a quote. Gaudet suggested his assistant coaches, both Dartmouth hockey
alums, as possible candidates. Bob's (initial) response is what many folks
here feel should have been Ben's response towards the NU job. Then again, Bob
Gaudet did not rule out coming to Dartmouth as head coach, so who knows.
   * A search committee is being assembled and will try to appoint a new head
coach as soon as possible.
   * It is also rumored that Elvis and Billy Martin have applied for the job.

   I will keep all you folks informed as the situation develops (or
deteriorates). I think that no matter who steps in, they will have their hands
full. If the new coach can maintain the positive attitude present at the end
of last season, the team will show improvement (it can't get much worse than
1-23-3). At the end of the year Dartmouth was playing pretty decent hockey
(just ask Clarkson) - much better than their actual record would indicate.
                                 - Bob Gross