Date:
Tue, 21 May 91 13:33:17 LCL
--- Mike Machnik wrote in response to my initial posting:
>   It seems to many folks at Dartmouth that he doesn't really care about the
>program here (I am paraphrasing some more colorful language). He spent last
>year rebuilding spirit and making the team feel really good about itself
>despite the dismal record. Everyone involved in the program was looking
>forward to next year. In addition, recruiting seems to have gone quite well.

Well, a guy I know pretty well who plays for Dartmouth would disagree strongly
with your first sentence and agree strongly with your next three.  I know
because I've asked him specifically what the team thought of Smith.  This
was a few weeks ago and I don't think it has changed very much since.

--- end of quoted material ---

   A few weeks ago, things were very different. I agree that everyone was very
positive about Ben in every way possible. But ALOT has changed in terms of
perception since Ben has been seriously considering the Northeastern job. It
is more than just having his name mentioned. He has actually been interviewed.
A number of the players are quite distressed at the fact that he has been here
for only one year before this event. Obviously, when he took the job he knew
it would be a long term project to rebuild the team. Apparently, the
recruiting went very well because there was no serious interference from the
administration. The new athletic director, Dick Jaeger, is committed to
supporting the hockey program, in contrast to the previous ADs.
   I believe that everyone understands that Ben should do what is best for his
career. On the other hand, I've heard the question raised about commitment to
a program that has to be carried through some difficult years. The feeling I
perceive is that people are disappointed that Ben could talk about spirit and
rebuilding and perservering - and then consider leaving. If none of these
stories are true, he should issue a denial before the rumors contribute to
demoralizing the team.
   I also want to stress that I do not necessarily agree with what other
people at Dartmouth perceive - I'm just filling up space for the hockey crazed
masses on this list. I do have some concern about the program, however, when I
know for a fact that some members of the team are distressed about the current
turn of events - and that Ben has not done anything to dispell the perception.
                                - Bob Gross