From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 91 12:22:42 EDT
Mark Daly writes:
>	What does "the fish" represent? I'm sure that when the UNH fans
>threw it on the ice at Boston College during the Hockey East playoffs, some
>of the BC fans were indeed offended.
>                    ...but I began to wonder when it appeared at
>Providence this year also (the other Catholic university in H.E.).

BTW, there are *three* Catholic schools in Hockey East: BC, Providence,
and my new alma mater, Merrimack.  Couldn't let that go. :-)

I'm not that familiar with the origin of The Fish to know what it actually
stands for, but I do not think it is meant as an insult to the Catholic
schools.  They throw it on the ice at all home games.  As for The Fish's
recent HE road trips, BC and Providence, it is true that both were Catholic
schools, but they were also UNH's only road playoff sites since 1986.  I
think that was just a coincidence.  Plus, don't forget that The Fish has
also road-tripped to Minnesota, a non-Catholic school.  Those BC alums
you mentioned as taking a personal affront to The Fish obviously weren't
too familiar with UNH or The Fish, or they'd know it does not discriminate
based on religion.  However, from what you say about the Cornell/RPI fans,
that sounds like something that was aimed specifically at BC.

My experience with the UNH fans is that while they're pretty loud and
supportive of their team, and they do like to hassle the opponents a bit,
they usually don't get too out of hand.  I always enjoy going over to Lively
Snively for a game. ("Gimme a U...N...H...what does that spell?  UUNNNNHHH!")

Maybe Chris Craig knows more about The Fish?  If no one knows, I'll add
it to my list of things to find out more about because I'd like to know, too.

- mike, drumming up list support in the off-season