From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 May 91 23:19:39 EDT
Kevin Cummings writes:
>the "civic centers" do.  I know RPI used to have the largest seating area in
>the east (at least they did when I attended there 15 years ago).  How do the
>newer areans like Conte Forum stack up with Houston in seating capacity?

Here are the school arenas with the top seating capacities in the East:

Boston College, Silvio Conte Forum: 7,884
Northeastern, Matthews Arena: 6,000
RPI, Houston Field House: 5,365
Dartmouth, Thompson Arena: 5,000

RPI never had a larger seating capacity than Northeastern.  Conte Forum
has been used since the 1988-89 season.

In addition, Maine's Alfond Arena is scheduled to be expanded to a
capacity of over 6,000 (from 4,100) for the 1991-92 season.

I can't see any of these being used over places like Boston Garden and
Knickerbocker Arena for the NCAA regional.  However, Conte Forum would
probably have the best shot because of its expanded media facilities and
great television sight lines.

Mike Machnik             [log in to unmask]    samsung!hubdub!nin15b34
NORTHEASTERN HUSKIES: 1988 Beanpot & Hockey East Champions
MERRIMACK WARRIORS: 1993 Hockey East Champions
NCAA Hockey -> Fire on Ice!