From:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 91 11:21:08 -0400
The news we are getting here in Ohio about the new NCAA tournament
format is a little different than what was summarized from the Ithaca
Journal. I heard that there will be brackets: #1 will play the #4-#5
winner, no matter who wins the #3-#6 game. The dates I have are a
little different, too, but close to what Bill said.

The biggest difference involves the Independent bid. The NCAA has 3
choices here:  (1) choose an Independent as one of the 12 teams; (2)
make an Independent play a "play-in" game against one of the #6 seeds
at a regional site the day before the other games start; (3) not
include any Independent at all, if no one has a record above .500.

In any event, the CCHA schedule has materialized a bit since this
announcement.  Unless the NCAA changes its mind on calling the CCHA
by-laws "in writing" (not likely), each team will play 32 league games
and will be allowed only 2 non-conference games, plus a possible trip
to Alaska.

Oct 21*      On-ice practice starts
Oct 25-26    First weekend of the season
Mar 6-7      Last weekend of the regular season
Mar 13-14-15 CCHA first round play-offs, campus sites
Mar 21-22    CCHA Semifinals and Finals at Joe Louis Arena [Sat-Sun]

As of now, each team's non-league games are undetermined, but I bet
Bowling Green will still be going to the tourney in Minnesota and
Michigan State and Michigan will be going to the GLI in Detroit. Rumor
has it that Miami will be playing Kent.

From Oct 25 to Mar 6, there are 20 weekends. With a 34-game schedule,
only 17 will be needed, giving each team 3 open weekends during
the season. Most teams will take the Dec 20th weekend off, I suspect.

   * According to the NCAA, on-ice practice can start before Oct 21st.
   If a team starts on Oct 14, it MUST take off 7 straight days during
   the season without playing or practicing. A team can start as early
   as Oct 7 if it takes of for seven days TWICE during the season.

Keith [log in to unmask]