From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 May 91 18:18:13 EDT
Right off the bat, I can't find a line that betters Carter-Oates-Jooris,
though some come close.  The big problem is that I don't always know what
players played together.  For example, I know Tony Hrkac and Bob Joyce played
together at North Dakota in 1987, and they totalled 205 points right there.
But I don't know their other wing.  If it was Steve Johnson, the next highest-
scoring Sioux player, the total is 275 - but that came in 48 games, an average
of 5.73 points per game.  The RPI line (223) averaged 5.87.  It depends on
whether you want to go by ppg or total points.

Ciavaglia-Donato-Vukonich probably bettered six points per game on average,
but because Harvard plays fewer games, they didn't come anywhere near the
above numbers.  I don't have their final point totals, but all were in the
50s at the end of the regular season, ~6.5 ppg.

I'd also figure that there were some lines 30-40 years ago that racked up
a lot of points in few games, so their average would be higher, but because
today's teams play more games, their total would be greater than the older
lines.

By the way, none of Brett Hull's lines come close to the leaders on either
criteria.

If anybody wants to suggest some lines they remember seeing, I can look up
their numbers and see how they compare.  Here's Joyce-Hrkac-Johnson (can
someone verify that Johnson did play with them?  If not I may have it at
home.):

        Joyce          Hrkac          Johnson
SEASON  GP  G  A Pts   GP  G  A Pts   GP  G  A Pts
1986-7  48 52 37  89   48 46 70 116   48 26 44  70

In 1987-8, Merrimack's Jim Vesey, Richard Pion & Ben Lebeau combined for
243 points in 40 games, or 6.08 ppg.  But about 25 of their games were
actually against Division II teams.  Still, here are their totals.

        Lebeau         Vesey          Pion
SEASON  GP  G  A Pts   GP  G  A Pts   GP  G  A Pts
1987-8  40 35 38  73   40 40 55  95   40 35 40  75