From:
Peter Kester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 91 08:42:50 -0400
Tony Amonte played his first NHL game last night wearing #31 of the
New York Rangers and was credited with an assist.  Ranger coach Roger
Neilson started him out playing short shifts and eventually even put
him in on the power play.  Overall, I think he played a great game --
it was hard to tell he was only a rookie.

He even had an encounter with Capitols veteran defenseman Rod Langway.
In this clash between young and old, Rod had trapped the puck with his
glove against his stomach and Tony took a couple of pokes at it.  The
two waved gloves in each other faces after the whistle had blown but
no penalties were assessed.  The Caps announcers were calling for a
spearing penalty -- give me a break!  How about a delay of game on
Langway?

The Caps announcers also kept harping on how they couldn't believe
Roger Neilson was playing rookies in this important playoff game.
(Rookie #10 Rice was also playing -- got a goal)  I thought the two
rookies, which were playing on the same line, looked at times better
than the seasoned players -- so why not play them?  When the Rangers
started a veteran line for the beginning of OT, the announcers made
the comment, (paraphrased) "See, the Rangers are now going with
seasoned players when it really counts."  They failed to observe the
fact that the Rangers were putting out their starting lineup or the
fact that both Amonte and Rice played in the OT period.  sigh.
To make matters worse, the Caps won.  :-(

We still have yet to see an appearance by Doug Weight.  Perhaps in
game 6 on Saturday at the Cap Centre -- which has not sold out yet.

Pete