From:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 1994 16:45:03 CST
It was definitely an upbeat crowd at the Target Center after the game on
Saturday night! The Gophers completed a sweep of the Wisconsin Badgers and
where two U of MN students were dressed up as the Hanson brothers from the
movie Slapshot. There were other assorted masks in the crowd also.

The Gophers took advantage of the Badgers weakness (getting penalties) and
scored four power play goals! I guess the new freshman Mike Crowley is really
helping out the Gopher power play.

There were fewer Badger fans in attendance than in years past. This really
surprised me. The Gophers-Badgers tilt is the biggest rivalry in the WCHA, or
so it seems to me :-) I do believe that coach Woog was pleased with the
performance of his team on both nights.

There is still some line juggling, working in the freshman and the sophs and
juniors on the fourth line. Junior Brian Bonin is looking great and he scored
two goals and one assist, while junior defenseman Dan Trebil had four assists.
Co-captain Justin McHugh (aka The Goalie's Nightmare!) scored the game winning
goal in OT on Friday and had an assist each night.

The game winner on Friday was scored seconds after Badger goalie Kirk
Daubenspeck whacked McHugh with his stick. Poetic justice in my book. On
Saturday night Daubenspeck was again pretty free with his stick and was called
for a penalty!

Gophers goalie Jeff Callinan looked great for most of the games. He was a bit
shakey a couple of times, as there was a stretch in the Friday game where he
didn't get many shots. On Friday Callinan faced 22 shots and Daubenspeck faced
43 shots. (There was a time when I wondered if the Gophers were going to get
*anything* by him!) On Saturday night Callinan faced 28 shots and Daubenspeck
faced 24 shots.

The student section (Section 14 and 13) were really getting into the rhythm,
chanting in unison the black hole cheer, "Just like football", 94-EAST, and
"Warm up the bus". They were very entertaining.

I would like to know what Tok said in the Saturday game to earn himself an
immediate 10-minute misconduct. The Badgers frustration was really beginning
to show at that point.

As per usual, the Hockey-L Gopher fans retired to the back room at Stub's for
a post-game libation! My voice is still scratchy and sore. It's worth it
though when we get to hear the Battle Hymn at the end of the game and have the
salute to the fans by the players before they leave the ice.

Keep up the great work Gophers!!!
Next up: SCSU Huskies

-Carol
GO Gophers!!!

Carol S. White                            BITNET: c-whit@uminn1
University of Minnesota        internet:[log in to unmask]
Office of the Registrar
(612) 625-8517                                    GO Gophers!!!