From:
Peter Kester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 91 15:20:01 -0400
Kevin Cummings writes:
]Mike Manchik writes:
]}I write:
]}> Bowdoin's regular season record was 19-3-1 (17-2-1 ECAC III) while
]}> Merrimack was undefeated within the division.
]}
]}   Merrimack wasn't undefeated; they were 15-2 in the ECAC East, having
]}   lost at Union, 6-3, on 1/28/89 and at AIC, 5-2, on 2/13/89.
]
] Mike, if you read what Pete wrote, he said that Merrimack was undefeated
] "within the division".  That means that Merrimack did not lose any games to
] any other ECAC East teams.
]
Thanks for the defense, but unfortunately, AIC is in ECAC East so I
can't even use that as an excuse. :-)  I wrote the above mainly from
memory (although I did have to look up Bowdoin's record :-))  I did
mean their East/West record which is used to compute the standings.
I must have mixed up my years -- was Merrimack undefeated the year
before?  Someone help save my sanity!!
] ...
] (ECAC North or South, but that would have been unlikely since ECAC East and
] West are/were ECAC Div 2, while North and South are/were ECAC Div. 3),

ECAC East/West used to be ECAC div 2 until the NCAA eliminated div 2.
Now ECAC div 3 consists of East/West/North/South, although North/South
games do not count towards East/West teams standings and vice versa.

]                              ... I know that when the NCAA eliminated
] Div 2 Hockey (at the NCAA level) that things got a little (more) confusing
] here in the East (read: ECAC).

How true!  With the East/West and North/South separation, ECAC div 3
effectively has two conferences within the conference.

Pete "looks like it's time for a vacation" Kester