From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 91 10:53:09 EDT
Wayne writes:
>Ted writes ...
>>        Another thing, what is with this rule by the NCAA (or was it a Civic
>>Center rule?) about no banners. ...
>
>    I don't really know, but they took down all Alfond Arena banners for
>    the NCAA series w/Minnesota, including all the advertising
>    billboards.  I didn't miss the advertising at all :-))

    I think this happened because the money-grubbing NCAA has a rule against
    ALL advertising during an event unless it goes through them.  Since the
    Alfond sponsors didn't or wouldn't pay the outrageous fees to the NCAA,
    they couldn't sponsor an NCAA event (the quarterfinals).  And since holding
    up a Clarkson banner could be perceived as advertising for the school on
    national television, unless you get a waiver or something from the NCAA,
    you can't do that either.  Ted also said BU wasn't forced to remove their
    banner, though, and I don't know why that would have happened unless they
    had already been through this last year and they took the necessary steps
    this year.

    - mike