From:
Peter Kester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 91 13:44:22 -0400
Kevin ([log in to unmask]) brings back bad memories:
> I don't remember the exact date, but it was in the spring of 1989.  Merrimack
> was playing Bowdoin College (Me.) for the ECAC East hockey championship.

It was March 4, 1989 -- Merrimack had home ice as this was the last year
before ECAC III went to a final four format.  It was also Merrimack's
last year in div 3.

Bowdoin's regular season record was 19-3-1 (17-2-1 ECAC III) while
Merrimack was undefeated within the division.  Bowdoin came in to
avenge a 6-3 loss at home to Merrimack in the regular season.

> Merrimack was quickly put into a 3-0 deficit, as John Moltenbery didn't look
> sharp.  Craig Dalfara replaced him in net.  At the end of the first, Bowdoin
> had the 3-0 lead.

Yes, the best period I ever saw :-)

> Merrimack came close early in the second, but only Bowdoin scored in the
> first 15 minutes of the second period.  They opened it up to 4-0.

This was the point at which I began to think Bowdoin might actually
pull off the big upset.  The Bowdoin contingent was going crazy while
the Warrior fans were abnormally quiet.

> Then Merrimack caught a break.  Brad Atol I think it was scored to make the
> score 4-1.  Then Dalfara made an incredible save and back came the Warriors.
> By the end of the period, it was 4-4.  When it was 4-0, I was ready to go
> home, but my friend told me to wait until the end of the 2nd period.

By this point the Merrimack fans had woken up.  The Polar Bears seemed
to have nothing left in the third period while Merrimack was just
getting started, scoring an additional five times.

> I'll never forget the cheer that went up when Merrimack scored to go ahead
At the end of the game Merrimack fans were chanting "Hockey East!
Hockey East!" while the Bowdoin fans quietly left the opponent's rink.

the first two periods of this contest were exciting, fast-paced hockey
with good chances for both squads.  The third period, however, was
completely Merrimack's as the Polar Bears seemed to be out of steam.

Pete Kester
Bowdoin '87