Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 91 22:16:38 EDT
Ok, since everyone is talking about the best games they ever saw, I'll put
in my two cents worth.

I don't remember the exact date, but it was in the spring of 1989.  Merrimack
was playing Bowdoin College (Me.) for the ECAC East hockey championship.

Merrimack was quickly put into a 3-0 deficit, as John Moltenbery didn't look
sharp.  Craig Dalfara replaced him in net.  At the end of the first, Bowdoin
had the 3-0 lead.

Merrimack came close early in the second, but only Bowdoin scored in the
first 15 minutes of the second period.  They opened it up to 4-0.

Then Merrimack caught a break.  Brad Atol I think it was scored to make the
score 4-1.  Then Dalfara made an incredible save and back came the Warriors.
By the end of the period, it was 4-4.  When it was 4-0, I was ready to go
home, but my friend told me to wait until the end of the 2nd period.

I knew coming out that the first goal was going to be the biggest goal of the
year.  If Merrimack got it, you could all but mail in the championship.  If
Bowdoin got it, the game was over.

Merrimack did score first.  Bowdoin was held scoreless for the third period.
Merrimack put in five goals, to win the ECAC East championship 9-4.  Chris
Kiene, now in the Devils system, was named tournament MVP.

I'll never forget the cheer that went up when Merrimack scored to go ahead
5-4.  I don't remember exactly who scored it, but I believe it was Richard
Pion, who is now in the Blues system.

That's the best game I ever went to.  Granted there are some other ones, but
most of them were that year.  The Lowell game that year, the Clarkson game
that year, and last year's finale against Lowell.  But nothing can compare to
winning a championship, even if it is in Division 2.

Kevin

E-mail MIGHT reach me at:

"You can still Rock in America"  - Night Ranger