From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 1994 14:23:55 EDT
Excerpts from John's article ...
>(Since when does the NC$$ allow athletes to serve time concurrently?)

   Obviously they *don't*, but it's not obvious to me why not, at least
   in this case.  The Major Junior A thing was punitive, but the Prop 48
   thing was, at least I didn't think it was, not.  The Prop 48 concept,
   as we have heard about it, is to insure that low SAT SAs can do the
   work in college, so they sit out a year.  IMHO, if Prop 48 rules were
   any good, they'd recognize the year Mike sat out.

>                          ...  I believe Mike is a scholarship athlete,
>which means he'll have to give back the money, and still be left holding
>the bill for this semester, and since it is now mid-October, has no chance
>at getting a dime in financial aid.  ...

   Do you know this for sure?  SAs don't have to compete to get athletic
   scholarship aid, but maybe being ineligible (having used up
   eligibility) makes one ineligible for the aid?  I'm not sure one way
   of the other.  If John's right, it will be a blow to Mike, as he is
   expecting to remain in school, at least thru the 1st semester ...
   barring an unexpected opportunity to play somewhere.  (He has 3
   semesters remaining 'til graduation).

> ...  That leaves James MacDonald and ...

   John/Jack.

>                                            ...  If someone had asked
>the question two years ago, Mike wouldn't be in this predicament.

   That's why there has been a dramatic change this past year at Maine.
   You hear about (most of) the problems because Maine announces them
   and they get reported.

   Jeff Tory will sit out the 1st 3 games this season, but that's old
   news.

>But speaking of the NC$$, why is it that they never informed Mike that
>he only had two seasons of eligibility to begin with?  ...

   NCAA makes the rules and interprets the rules;  the schools otherwise
   keep track of eligibility, etc.  Only this year, the NCAA has gotten
   into a pro-active mode with the clearinghouse for incoming SAs.

>And I must say that I feel bad for Grant Standbrook, a wonderful and
>intelligent gentleman who now has the unenviable task of trying to
>recruit kids and convince them that the mistakes that have plagued the
>school for the past three seasons are not going to be repeated.

Grant Standbrook is a wonderful resource for Maine.  What do you think
the Maine fund-raisers get to talk about each and every day?  :-)

cheers,

Wayne Smith
The College Hockey Discussion List administrator
Systems Group - CAPS              BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
University of Maine System        internet:     [log in to unmask]

LISTSERV Gem: File Update Inform (FUI)
LISTSERV can tell you when a file in the HOCKEY-L archives changes.  For
example, to learn of changes to file 9495COMP SCHEDULE, send this command
to [log in to unmask]: FUI ADD 9495COMP SCHEDULE

For more information, send the command HELP to [log in to unmask]