From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 91 13:57:38 EST
Dan Glumac writes:
>This morning the Minneapolis Star Tribune ran an article about Maine and
>Shawn Walsh.  It mentioned such antics as:  a game (opponent not listed) in
>which he had the other team penalized because their goalie's pads were not
>the correct size, and a game against Boston College in which the BC jerseys
>had a designer logo which was too large; BC had to forfeit the game.  Can
>anybody out there elaborate on this?

I remember hearing about this logo thing last year, probably on this list
(and probably from Mike Machnik).  As I recall, after a BC-Maine game, Walsh
pointed out the logo to the Hockey East officials.  I don't know whether the
rule called for a forfeit if a team's logo was too large (that sounds a
little severe), but Walsh seemed to think it did, and he was not pleased at
all when Hockey East ruled that BC did not have to forfeit.  He said some-
thing to the effect of "WELL, I guess we know that the rules don't apply to
BC!"  There was quite a stink for a while.

Mike or anyone else, do you have any more on this?  I'm sure I'm leaving out
lots of juicy details :-)

As for the goalie pads, I didn't hear about it, but I can believe it.  Walsh
is always going after people's sticks, and this sounds like the next logical
step.

Walsh has gained quite a bit of notoriety for calling for measurements and
illegal-stick fouls.  What amuses me about this is that people always seem
to come down on Walsh for being sneaky, rather than the guys with the
illegal sticks.  Think about it:  if there's a player on the ice with a
stick that's curved too much, and the opposing coach notices it and manages
to get a penalty, who's the one trying to bend the rules?  Coaches are paid
to win, and if Walsh can spot some violation that gives his team an advan-
tage (like an illegal stick), well, more power to him.  He certainly hasn't
built the Black Bears into a consistent 25- to 30-game-winning team on the
strength of calling for stick measurements.  Admittedly, the whole logo
business was a little extreme, and his antics behind the bench rub a lot of
people the wrong way, but you can't argue with the results.  Notoriety
aside, Maine is a talented team, and Shawn Walsh is a top-notch coach.

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86
LET'S GO RED!!

"The biggest adjustment for me... when I got my own apartment, was learning
 how to shop.  I didn't know how to shop for myself.  Like I bought a 90-slice
 loaf of bread -- I said, 'Wow, this'll last me three months', right?  The
 damn thing turned to penicillin before I got halfway through it."
-- Franklin Ajaye