From:
BRUCE SPENCER <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BRUCE SPENCER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 1994 12:22:07 -0400
        I happened to get involved with an NC$$ recruiting rule which seemed
unreasonable to me.  I do not know the rule number because I do not have a
rules manual.
        I got involved because my daughter who will be a sophomore in high
school and plays soccer joined a fitness club for the summer.  Since I work
at UNH and know the women's soccer coach, I asked if I could get a copy of
the summer training program for my daughter to use.  I was told that she
could not give me one because it would be a NC$$ rules violation.  She ex-
plained that she couldn't give the information to individuals.  HOWEVER, she
could give it to attendees at the soccer camp she runs for high school
athletes or she could give it to my daughter's high school coach and he
could give it to her.
        What does this have to do with hockey?  I next checked with the
compliance officer and he explained that what I was told was correct.  I
could understand the rule as far as my daughter is concerned because she
is a sophomore.  He then went on to say that the rule applies to incoming
student athletes unless they have signed a national letter of intent. This
means that a team cannot give out training schedules to incoming student
athletes (unless signed NLOI) even if they have accepted their admission to
the school and paid a deposit to hold their place.  This leaves those
students who are potential walk-ons at a disadvantage at tryouts because
they will not have had the benefit of the team training schedule.
        The compliance officer agreed that the rule was unreasonable and
also told me it was something that member schools were working to get
changed.
        Is the rule really this restrictive for incoming students or is
the interpretation I got different that how the rule actually reads?

        On a side note: My son (graduated hs this year) has been playing
hockey at the local rinks this summer.  He played with Eric Brown from
UMass Lowell who is coming back from a late season injury that kept him
out of the playoffs.  Said he seemed like a nice person and enjoyed
being his teammate.  He also played with a Colgate player the other
night in Dover, NH.  Did not get his name.  Does anyone know who he
might have been?  He'd like to find out.

Bruce "Spence"r
UNH '71