From:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Mar 1994 11:31:27 -0500
>By the way, has anyone noticed how the NCAA Tournament Committee slipped in
>another rating criterion when nobody was looking. When did "record over the
>last 20 games" become a criterion? Also, there's a lot of room for
>interpretation under "record against teams under consideration". What
>exactly constitutes a "team under consideration"?

The coaches added it in April, 93. It replaced last year's "last 10
games", "last 15 games" and "play-off record" criteria. I was
looking--it is listed in the 1994 Ice Hockey Championship Handbook.  It
was also listed in the BG program during the second half of the
season.

"Teams Under Consideration" remains one of the fuzzy parts of the
selection process. I interpret it to mean "teams that have a chance to
get an at-large bid".  I bet it is as simple as the top X teams in the
RPI.

Comley only gave 1 record versus teams under consideration: he said
Clarkson was 0-7-2. That means #20 Brown & #19 BC were not under
consideration (CU beat them both). There was also a large gap in the
RPI between the #18 and #19 teams, so that is how I came to the
conclusion that the teams under consideration went from BU to Miami.

That excluded teams like BG and Michigan Tech, but I thought they both
had to win it all to get in. And this does include Maine, which Comley
ealier said would be under consideration.

Keith