From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 20 Mar 1994 14:31:47 -0500
Pam Sweeney writes:
>On top of the victory, the Gophers learned that their 4-3 double-overtime loss
>to Lake Superior State in the final of their own Christmas tourrnament would
>count as a tie instead of a loss.  Although the game was played to conclusion,
>NCAA season games end after one overtime.

This is the first I have heard of this, since the NC$$ rule book
states that NC$$ season games can be played to a conclusion if a
winner needs to be determined for a tourney champion or advancement in
a bracket.  I have never heard of the selection committee changing the
results before as Pam says they are doing with Minnesota and LSSU, and
there have been numerous games in the past that went into more than
one OT in regular season tourney games.

However, if this is true, then Minn-LSSU isn't the only game affected.
BC defeated Northeastern in double overtime in the semifinals of the
Beanpot.  NU is still very much in the hunt for a bid, and if they get
to replace a loss with a tie, it can only help their cause.

But, what about the tourney games that only lasted one OT but went
longer than the normal 5 minutes?  Are the teams involved in those
games going to have their records changed, too?  And does anyone have
a complete list of which games those were, if this is also true?

Yikes...and I thought I had it all figured out...
Mike Machnik                                          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMM* 11/13/93
Opinions expressed in this post are solely those of the poster.