From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 18 Mar 1994 11:23:11 -0500

>John Edwards ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
>: >I recently heard a rumor on campus that HE is still going to court to
>: >prove that their decision with maine was valid...  Does anyone have
>: >confirmaton of this, and any news on what may happen....
>: >
>: >    (would Maine even bother showing up to court now????)
>:[...]
>: I mentioned in my post yesterday.
>
>: I think it's in HE's interest to continue the case, so that they can have a
>: precedent in case something like this comes up again. I doubt there's any
>: urgency, now that Maine has been eliminated.
>
>Where will HE be if they don't win though? It's another tough spot for
>them. If they don't continue the court fight, then they have a precedent
>of a team getting a court action to overturn a ruling. If they continue
>and lose then they have legal opinions saying they didn't have the right
>to do what they did.

If they lose, there will still be a precedent. Whether HE wins or not,
the conference, and everyone in it, will know what HE can do in cases like
this. If it turns out that Maine was right, then, fine, we now know that it
will be hard for HE to suspend teams from the postseason.

I don't think the issue is necessarily what HE did anymore, because that
action was effectively undone by the restraining order.

See you later,
John

--
John C.K. Edwards         Stats Geek, Ottawa Jr. Senators (CJHL, Jr. A)
Poli Sci/Law III                  It must be the pretzels!