From:
"G.M. Finniss" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 18 Mar 1994 10:13:00 EST
In the second game tonight at JLA, the Michigan State Spartans will try to im-
prove their chances at an NC$$ Tournament bid when they take on the Bowling
Green Falcons.  The Spartans won the season series from the Falcons 2-0-1 this
year (2-2 Nov. 20 at Munn, 3-0 Jan. 15 at Munn, 8-1 Jan. 29 at BG).  The
winner of tonight's game gets the unenviable task of taking on Lake Superior
State in tomorrow's second semifinal at Joe Louis.

With Northern Michigan's loss last night, the Spartans have now moved into the
precarious #12 spot in the RPICH ratings (I know, Mike, it doesn't mean EVERY-
THING :-)).  Michigan State will be playing tonight without the services of
junior forward Matt Albers, who is out for the rest of the season with a
shoulder separation.  This should give more ice time to the hard-luck player
for MSU this year, sophomore forward Brian Clifford.

MSU has effectively contained BG's big scorers in the three meetings this
season, allowing the trio of Brian Holzinger, Sean Pronger, and Curtis Fry
only one goal against the Green and White.  The game arguably is going to
come down to two of the best goaltenders in the conference, Falcon freshman
Bob Petrie and Spartan junior Mike Buzak.  Both teams tend to prefer a more
open skating game rather than a "clutch-and-grab" style, which should lead to
a pretty wide open affair.  A key to the game tonight will be the performance
of the power play units.  BG's has struggled somewhat this year (9th in the
CCHA at 16.45%) while MSU's power play unit has been alternately unstoppable
and miserable (3rd in the CCHA at 22.4%).  When the Spartans have managed to
get two or more power play goals in a game this year, they are 14-0-1.  Other-
wise, they are 8-11-4.

Unfortunately, this one's not on TV and I'm not going to the Joe, so I will
be glued to 730-AM (WVFN) and the voice of Ken Landau.  The only good thing
is that the MSU-Seton Hall game doesn't start until 10.  But, should we win
tonight, it's out to the bars and PASS for the semis tomorrow.

And, before I forget, I'd like to thank the Falcons for the one task that
nobody else in the league wanted to take on: beating Ferris State.

G. M. Finniss
Michigan State University
WVU (85-69 winners over Davidson in 1st round NIT; next up: Clemson [site and
time TBA]), UTenn '92, MSU who the hell knows when?

P.S.  Thanks to the two Wisconsin teams (Madison and Green Bay) for really
        screwing up the top half of my West Bracket.  I had Cincinnati in
        the Final Eight and Cal in the Sweet Sixteen.  Oh, well, it's only
        $5.