From:
Bri Farenell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bri Farenell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 1994 10:19:26 -0500
Well, unfortunately I didn't get a very good response to my poll.
Then again, I didn't get much of a response last year either (although
I got a good response for my national poll). Below, i've listed the
categories in which 4 or more ballots were cast. I didn't really
think it was fair to declare a 'winner' based on 3 or fewer ballots.
I don't know why 4 is any better than 3 or 2 but I chose that as an
arbitrary cutoff. Not everyone voted for a #2 and #3 so those totals
might be lower than #1.

Note: ALSO RECEIVING PTS list is in order.

Now, for the awards as Hockey-L'ers saw them...

ECAC PLAYER OF THE YEAR         (27 possible points)
-----------------------
WINNER:         Steve Martins, Harvard          21 pts  (6 first place vts)
TOP RUNNERS-UP: Brian Mueller, Clarkson         11 pts  (1 fpv)
                Craig Conroy, Clarkson          7 pts

ALSO RECEIVING PTS: Brian Farrell, Harvard; Bryan Richardson, RPI;
Ron Pasco, RPI; Geoff Bumstead, Cornell.

ECAC ROOKIE OF THE YEAR         (27 possible points)
-----------------------
WINNER:         Tim Thomas, Vermont             12 pts  (2)
TOP RUNNERS-UP: Chris Ford, Union               10 pts  (2)
                Jean-Francois Houle, Clarkson   6.5 pts

ALSO: Mike Harder, Colgate; Ashlin Halfnight, Harvard; Philpot, Harvard;
        Vinnie Auger, Cornell; Troy Creuer, SLU; Todd White, Clarkson;
        Martin St. Louis, UVM; Joe Craigen, Harvard; Russ Monteith, Union.

ECAC GOALIE OF THE YEAR         (21 possible pts)
-----------------------
WINNER:         Geoff Finch, Brown              18 pts  (5)
TOP RUNNERS-UP: Jason Currie, Clarkson          10 pts
                Aaron Israel, Harvard           10 pts  (2)

ALSO: Tim Thomas, UVM; Luigi Villa, Union.

ECAC COACH OF THE YEAR          (27 possible pts)
----------------------
WINNER:         Bruce Delventhal, Union         26 pts  (8)
TOP RUNNERS-UP: Ronn Tommasoni, Harvard         8 pts
                Mike Gilligan, Vermont          6 pts   (1)

ALSO: Don Vaughan, Colgate; Bob Gaudet, Brown; Mark Morris, Clarkson;
        Don Cahoon, Princeton; Brian McCutcheon, Cornell.

HOCKEY EAST PLAYER OF THE YEAR  (21 possible pts)
------------------------------
WINNER:         Mike Pomichter, BU              10 pts  (2)
TOP RUNNERS-UP: Shane Henry, UML                7 pts   (1)
                Mike Murray, UML                5 pts   (1)
                Greg Bullock, UML               5 pts   (1)

ALSO: Rich Brennan, BU; Mike Prendergrast, BU; Mike Latendrese, Maine;
        Pat Tardif, Maine; JF Aube, Northeastern; Chad Quennville, PC;
        Eric Flinton, UNH; Mike Taylor, Northeastern.

HOCKEY EAST ROOKIE OF THE YEAR  (27 possible pts)
------------------------------
WINNER:         Greg Bullock, UML               26 pts  (8)
TOP RUNNERS-UP: Greg Taylor, BC                 12 pts  (1)
                Martin Legault, Merrimack       7.5 pts

ALSO: Blair Allison, Maine; Mike Grier, BU; Reg Cardinal, Maine; Ed
        Campbell, UML.

HOCKEY EAST GOALIE OF THE YEAR  (27 possible pts)
------------------------------
WINNER:         Dwayne Roloson, UML             25 pts  (7)
TOP RUNNERS-UP: Derek Herlofsky, BU             12 pts  (2)
                JP McKersey, BU                 10 pts

ALSO: Greg Taylor, BC; Todd Reynolds, Northeastern.

HOCKEY EAST COACH OF THE YEAR   (27 possible pts)
-----------------------------
WINNER:         Bruce Crowder, UML              22 pts  (6)
TOP RUNNERS-UP: Ben Smith, Northeastern         12 pts  (1)
                Jack Parker, BU                 8 pts   (1)

ALSO: Steve Cedorchuk, BC; Joe Mallen, Mass-Amherst; Ron Anderson,
        Merrimack; Dick Umile, UNH.

WCHA COACH OF THE YEAR          (12 possible pts)
----------------------
WINNER:         Don Lucia, Colorado College     12 pts  (4)
TOP RUNNERS-UP: Craig Dahl, St. Cloud           6 pts
                Brush Christiansen, UAA         3.5 pts

ALSO: Doug Woog, Minnesota.

Unfortunately, I received 3 or fewer ballots for all of the CCHA awards
and all of the other WCHA awards. If anyone is interested in the
results of those categories, please email me.

The most interesting races were ECAC rookie of the year and HE player
of the year. No one, in either category, got more than 2 first place
votes.

From indications I received, I suspect UML's Dwayne Roloson
would have won player of the year had goalies been included.
I suspect that in all future polls, of this sort, I will include
goalies as POY candidates. As I mentioned to those of you who
inquired, the reason I chose to exclude goalies from this poll
is because, when I chose to include them last year, I got complaints
from some people that goalies had their "own" category and shouldn't
be included (similar to the "pitchers shouldn't be MVP's" argument
in baseball). However, this year I got more complaints about goalies
not being included so, in future polls, they will.