From:
Bri Farenell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bri Farenell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 1994 20:07:42 -0500
Just when Maine fans thought it couldn't any worse comes this, unmentioned
fact. More important than them being banned/re-instated/whatever from the
Hockey East tournament. More important than whether or not they will be
able to defend their national title. More important than any of that
comes this unfortunate fact. For the first time in its three year history,
the coveted Hockey-L Ceramic Dalmation will not reside in Orono. After two
years in Maine, the Dalmation will be making its way to Ann Arbor, Michigan.
(insert smiley faces)

As for H-O-C-K-E-Y (on the ice), Clarkson learned of its quarterfinal round
opponent. Yesterday, Colgate scored with just over 3 minutes left in the
game to edge St. Lawrence, 4-3. SLU completes the season with an 0-4
record vs. the Red Raiders. The last team to go 4-0 vs SLU ended up
winning the ECAC title (last season)... bad omen for Clarkson? :)

Clarkson defeated Colgate, 4-2 in Potsdam in a game that I thought
Clarkson dominated. Oddly enough, a few weeks later, Clarkson defeated
Colgate, 5-1 in Starr Rink, in a game that was MUCH closer than the
score would indicate. Colgate was down 3-1 with under a minute left before
Clarkson scored an empty netter and then another goal after that with
the goalie in net. It will be interesting to see who plays in net for
Don Vaughan's team. I thought Jason Gates played fairly well against us
in Potsdam and was fabulous against us last February... handing us our only
loss between mid-January and the NC$$ tournament. I'm don't remember who
played against us when we visited Colgate.

Should be a good series. I'll certainly be keeping me eye also on the
other series, obviously. They all look intriguing. As bad as Big Red
fans seem to think Cornell is, I certainly wouldn't put an upset past
them. They have shown, at times, that their offense CAN score. They
need to do everything right, and get solid goaltending, but it's possible.

Union-RPI should also be a good series. Normally, I'd pick Union. WIth
a long unbeaten streak to end the season and RPI's consistently inconsistent
season, Union seems like a good upset bid, but I don't know. I'd like to
see Union knock off the Engineers but it seems, the last few years, no
matter how good Union is playing or how bad RPI is going, the Engineers
always seem to get up for Union (seems like the opposite of what you
might expect).

Vermont-Brown. I don't know how much of an upset this would be, if UVM won.
Vermont is a team to possibly watch out for, IMO. Tim Thomas is playing well
in nets, and is more stable, IMO, than his predecessor Christian Soucy
(if less spectacular). I guess the big key in Vermont is that they seem
to have more balanced scoring than at any time in the recent past. This
is due in part to their excellent rookie crop (Eric Perrin, Martin St. Louis).
Brown seemed to flounder down the stretch. Geoff Finch will have to regain
his earlier season form and play like he did in last year's ECAC final
four (sue me) for Brown to have a chance.

I have to predict an RPI-Clarkson, Vermont-Harvard semifinal matchup.

Let's go Tech!  (and BU)