From:
Bri Farenell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bri Farenell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 1994 15:39:18 -0500
This is a very weird situation. While I have little sympathy from the
self-serving stuff coming out of Orono, I do also have questions about
the decision of Hockey East, as well. Since all 8 HE teams make the
league playoffs, I don't see any reason to ban Maine. Even the NC$$
didn't see any reason to ban them (formally) from the national tournament,
I don't see why HE should do so as well; Maine broke NC$$ rules not HE
ones. My only guess is that HE's action was possibly vengeful. Maybe,
and this is, of course, speculation on my part, that Maine wasn't
really being punished, since the forfeits aren't taken into account
re: the national tournament. Maybe HE wanted to inflict a REAL
punishment on Maine. I don't really see how that's the place of
a league to do so.

However, this is certainly very unfair to BU, as well. While I'm
sure Parker has ran practices like they were going to face Maine,
I'm also sure that, psychologically, they weren't into it. Psychologically
the players weren't sure that they were playing this weekend and, probably
weren't practicing as hard. In other words, BU will only have 2 REAL
days of practice (assuming the games start on Friday).

This is different from the ECAC teams who play prelim round winners.
They KNOW they're going to play this weekend, just not whom. BU knew
who they'd play if they played, but not the actual if they played part.
(If that makes any sense :).

What should happen? Maine should have been allowed to play BU in the
first place. Then, they should have been treated like any other
6-26 (or whatever their record, w/forfeits, was) team for the purposes
on the NC$$. If they won the HE tournament, then they should have gotten
an automatic bid. Some would say that it's embarassing for HE to have a
team with that kind of record in the tournament but the fact remains
that it's theoretically possible for it to happen to ANY league.

For crying out loud, can we just DROP THE PUCK. Will Friday ever come?