Sender:
From:
John Whelan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 17:21:48 +0100
Comments:
I think this now qualifies as discussion...

Keith Instone (who is *not* using my What If page, BTW) writes on INFO:

> Here is my *rough* analysis of the NCAA possibilities so far. (Note
> that my #s match John Whelan's, but not Charlie Shub's.)

[snip]

> I am not sure if there is a scenario where *all 3 CCHA teams* get in.
> It certainly MIGHT be possible.

I think it happens if Princeton loses the ECAC conso.  See below.

> Princeton: helped a lot with a win in the consolation game, but could
> possibly still be out with a win. Definitely wants NMU to win the
> CCHA, because they cannot catch NMU on the criteria.

However, assuming wins by Princeton and Michigan, and the higher seeds
winning all the other games, I end up with Princeton, NMU and OSU
fighting for the last two spots, and since OSU wins the comparison
with NMU and loses to Princeton, it's down to RPI, on which OSU is the
odd man out.

> RPI: Could get in with a win, because they could then win comparisons
> over OSU and Princeton. They would still lose to NMU and Michigan, so
> RPI could be the 12th team in.

Have you got a scenario where they do make it?  With wins by
Rensselaer, either team in the CCHA final and high seeds everywhere
else, I still find the Engineers on the outside looking in, with the
CCHA final loser and either OSU or Notre Dame (depending on what you
do with the bubble) in the field of twelve.

Another major wild card is Niagara: they only win three comparisons,
but those are with RPI, Notre Dame and NMU, so if you put them on the
bubble with losses by Princeton and NMU, they would get in.

                                          John Whelan, Cornell '91
                                     http://www.amurgsval.org/joe/

Play aolng at home: http://www.slack.net/~whelan/cgi-bin/tbrw.cgi?brack