From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 1992 00:15:48 EDT
I too have to agree that UAF coach Don Lucia would not intentionally cover
up a player's past to get an extra year out of him; those things always
come back to haunt you.  But the eligibility rules can be quite confusing
and it's very likely that a simple oversight occurred.  Briefly, a player
loses a year of eligibility for each year of organized hockey he plays
past the age of 20 - that is, if he is 20 before the season starts.  I am
not sure as to the definition of the start of the season, so this could be
where the confusion lies.  Since I don't know, I don't want to speculate
beyond giving this as a possibility...but it is important to remember that
the rules are so complex that oversights do occur, they have in the past and
likely will again.
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   mikem@{beanpot,bubba}.ma30.bull.com
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)