Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 90 01:27:49 EDT
 Here are a few excerpts from the article in today's Star Tribune by John
 Gilbert: GOPHERS SKATE PAST NOTRE DAME
      It was, however, Notre Dame's first game of the season, and it didn't
 disappoint coach Ric Schafer, who graduated from Blake (in Minn) in 1970 and
 was assistant coach at Notre Dame under Lefty Smith before becoming head coach
 at Alaska-Fairbanks. He then returned to Notre Dame to resurrect its hockey
 program.
        "We played well to get to 3-2," Schafer said. "If we had been able to
 win the game, it would have been 'Miracle on Ice, Part II'. We knew what we
 were getting into. This was a game against the big boys, where we want to get
 to. Our committment is the reintroduction of hockey, to a football- and
 basketball-crazed area."
        When asked how quickly he thinks Notre Dame can return to national
 contention, Schafer said: "My plans? Or the administration's? My plan is to do
 it yesterday. The administration says we'll increase from eight to 10 full
 scholarships --- divided 17 ways --- over a four year plan. We've got eight
 right now, and we'll go up to 10 for next year, which is the fourth year of
 the plan. After next year, the administration will 'adjust accordingly'."

 PERSONAL NOTE:I thought it was a very good game, interesting through the end
 of the second period. The Gophers dominated the game in the third period. Our
 freshman players were outstanding-so the returning lettermen should be careful
 or they'll be out of a job!! {:-)
 HERE ARE ALSO A FEW QUOTES FROM THE MINNESOTA DAILY'S ARTICLE BY DAN LIEN:
      Despite the lopsided score, Woog told Schafer after the game that he'd be
 willing to play Notre Dame anytime Schafer wanted to.
      "The score was an accurate reflection of the game," Woog said. "They
 didn't deserve to be smacked in the face tonight and they weren't. They didn't
 get cheap and take penalties when they were down. Give them credit."
      "We were outmatched tonight, no doubt," Schafer said. "If we had
 man-to-man races with their guys, every one of them would probably win. Maybe
 I could beat Doug Woog, but that would be about it. I'm going to bring my guys
 back here in a couple of years to see how our program has developed."
 end of quotes
 The Fighting Irish sure showed alot of CLASS last night and I would also like
 to see these two teams play again! You'll certainly be welcome back anytime.
 Carol White
 U of M
 GO Gophers!!!