Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 91 13:40:05 EDT
 The plan (after the Olympic Fest is over) is to invite 40 players to the
 August camp, which would include a half-dozen or so available minor leaguers
 or previously tested players including former Gopher goaltender Robb Stauber.
 Probably 30 of the players will come from the Olympic Festival trials.

 Larry Olimb and Trent Klatt have been linemates but haven't scored, although
 their NORTH team defeated both the EAST and the WEST before being beaten 5-2
 by the SOUTH yesterday. That outcome assured a NORTH-SOUTH matchup to decide
 the gold-medal winner. The EAST beat the WEST 5-1 in last night's second game,
 and those two will play for the bronze medal Friday afternoon. The WEST is the
 only team without a win (0-3).

 The players realize that the games are only a portion of their testing.
 Conditioning is a large factor, and all 80 candidates had a training regimen
 to follow. How well they followed it was measured in extensive testing
 conducted by Jack Blatherwick last week. The tests included on- and off-ice
 quickness, strength tests and body-fat tests.

 While the results have not been divulged, some of the most impressive physical
 specimins are defensman Bret Hedican from St Cloud State and forwards Ben
 Hankinson and Craig Johnson of the Gophers, Ed Ronan of Boston University,
 Bill Guerin of Boston College, Don Granato of Wisconsin and Derek Plante of
 Minnesota-Duluth.

 The large number of penalties being called is by design. Peterson requested
 that officiating resemble the stricter international calls, but he said last
 night the calls won't be as tight on Friday. Some of the players think it
 has been much more strict than necessary.

 Last winter, I played in the world junior tournament, and it wasn't called
 this closely," said Keith Tkachuk, who scored two SOUTH goals yesterday. "It's
 tough to adjust to this because you're afraid to play the body or throw any
 checks, and you only get three or four shifts a period."

 I'll post the final wrap-up from the paper on Monday, providing my computer is
 all hooked up correctly. *:-)  Hopefully a game summary will be included!
 I look for an exciting, close win by the NORTH team tonight!!!!
 --Carol
 U of M
 GO Gophers!!!   GO NORTH!!!!