From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 91 18:32:10 EDT
Well, the final results are in from the World Hockey Championships, and
congratulations and the gold medal go to Team Sweden, which beat the
defending (and now former) world champion Soviet Union 2-1 in the game that
decided the title.  Sweden thus won its first world hockey championship
since 1987.  As for Team USA, they did fairly well, making it to the medal
round, but their performance was marred a little by questionable tactics in
their final game against Canada.  More on that below.

Here are the scores from Friday and Saturday:

Friday, 5/3:

     Consolation bracket:
          Finland 3, Czechoslovakia 2
          Germany 3, Switzerland 3 (tie)

Saturday, 5/4:

     Medal round:
          Canada 9, United States 4
          Sweden 2, Soviet Union 1

Final standings:

Medal Round
Team              W    L    T   Pts.   GF   GA
Sweden            2    0    1     5    13    8
Canada            1    0    2     4    15   10
Soviet Union      1    1    1     3    10    9
United States     0    3    0     0    12   23

Consolation Bracket (includes preliminary round)
Team              W    L    T   Pts.   GF   GA
Finland           6    3    1    13    35   21
Czechoslovakia    4    6    0     8    28   27
Switzerland       2    7    1     5    22   38
Germany           0    8    2     2    19   51

Gold medal - Sweden
Silver medal - Canada
Bronze medal - Soviet Union

Some notes on Saturday's games:

Canada 9, United States 4
     Team USA picked up a 1-0 lead at 2:36 of the first period on a goal by
     Shawn McEachern, but that margin lasted all of 13 seconds, as Russ
     Courtnall tied the game up for the Canadians.  Early in the second
     period, the United States had fallen behind 3-1 (after Thomas and
     Larmer had scored for Team Canada), but goals by Wolanin at 3:58 and
     Krygier at 10:29 tied the score again.  After that, however, Team
     Canada scored three goals in a 3:10 span to take a 6-3 lead into the
     third.  With 4:53 left in the game, McEachern tallied for the second
     time to bring the US within two, but Larmer's second goal of the game
     at the 17:23 mark restored Canada's three-goal margin.

     On rec.sport.hockey, Thomas Kalla referred to the end of this game as
     "a scandal", and while I'm not sure I'd go that far, I can see where
     people might think there was some sort of fix on.  Basically what
     happened was that with under 30 seconds left to play, and his team on
     the short end of a 7-4 score, United States coach Tim Taylor decided to
     pull goalie John Vanbiesbrouck.  Read it again, folks.  Obviously by
     that point, there was no way the US was going to score four times and
     win the game (which it had to to get a medal), so pulling the goalie
     seems like a futile gesture.  Well, Canada's Theoren Fleury wasted no
     time in taking advantage of the empty net, potting a goal with 15
     seconds left.  Vanbiesbrouck went back in, but Macoun made it 9-4 with
     one tick left on the clock, beating Vanbiesbrouck after skating through
     a US defense that Kalla described as "*very* passive".  I can see why
     Kalla, who I gather is a Sweden fan, was so upset; the sudden five-goal
     margin for Team Canada meant that a tie between the Swedes and the
     Soviets in the next game would have given Canada the gold, based on
     goal differential.

     After the game, Taylor explained his decision by saying, "We tried to
     break even.  We would rather lose by two goals instead of three."
     Sorry, Coach, but to me, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
     Losing by three to a tough Canada team, having stayed relatively close
     all the way, would have looked a damn sight better than losing by
     *five* and practically gift-wrapping a couple goals at the end.  To
     complicate matters even further, the United States had been on a power
     play starting at the 17:48 mark of the third.  If Taylor was so bound
     and determined to take a crack at scoring another goal, why not yank
     Vanbiesbrouck earlier in the power play and let Team USA try it with
     two extra attackers for an extended period, rather than waiting until
     so close to the end of both the game and the man-up situation?  Canada
     was not being terribly threatening in the third period anyway, getting
     off a total of only six shots.  Taylor is a pretty respected hockey
     coach, having been with the Yale program for 15 years and having served
     as an assistant with Team USA in the Olympics (1980?), but this mess at
     the end of the game was one whale of a head-shaker.  I certainly don't
     think the guy was deliberately trying to hand the Canadians a shot at
     the gold medal (although I hear that fixes are not unheard of in inter-
     national hockey), but that move Just Looks Bad, and it detracts from an
     otherwise fine effort by Team USA in the tournament.

Sweden 2, Soviet Union 1
     Fortunately, it turned out not to matter whether Canada won by three,
     five, or fifty goals, as the issue of the gold medal was decided quite
     neatly in this game.  The Soviets, who are usually listed as one of the
     best-conditioned hockey teams in the world, ended up running out of gas
     in the third.  With the game tied at 1-1 and 9:37 gone in the final
     period, Sweden's Mats Sundin picked up another clutch goal by beating
     Soviet defenseman Viacheslav Fetisov to the outside and firing the puck
     between goalie Andre Trefilov's legs from in close.  (Sundin had
     earlier salvaged ties with late goals for Sweden against Finland and
     the US)  The Soviets bombarded the Swedish goal for the rest of the
     game, including a power play for the final two minutes, but could not
     put the puck in the net.

     Sundin's goal in this game enabled him to take the tournament scoring
     title; he and Finland's Jari Kurri each had 12 points, but Sundin had
     seven goals to Kurri's six.  The Swedes also won the Fair Play Cup for
     being the least-penalized team in the tournament, although Canada
     finished only two minutes behind.

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86
LET'S GO RED!!

"As you know, they've been having a serious drought in California -- all the
 car washes are using Handi-Wipes.  They even tried to seed the clouds, but
 the clouds were on the Pill."
-- Mark Russell