Sender:
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 1994 15:16:10 -0600
What is there to say? Sometimes, words do no good. But I'll try.

The Gophers had just finished a week of vacation (during which there
are no practices with the coach present), as well as final exams,
(which also preclude practices), and boy did it show. Several of the
players must have had tough exams, because they seemed to be thinking
about something other than the game.

Good news: Nick Checco was back, after sustaining an injured shoulder
against Michigan.

Bad news: Checco left the game in the second with a deep thigh
bruise, received when a Denver player checked him into the door frame
of the Minnesota penalty box, which was open as Scott Bell was about
to exit as a pair of coincidentals was just ending. Checco feebly
crawled to the Minnesota bench, and left the game, not to return. I
haven't heard word on how he is, although I would have to mark him a
questionable for next week.

One major factor to the game was Justin McHugh being out. Certainly,
it is fair to say that no one player makes so much of a difference
that the team cannot do without him. But with the injury to McHugh,
and eventually to Checco, it threw the lines into turmoil. Consider
that Bonin and McHugh have been playing on the same line for two
years or so, and they were the stability of the first line, as well
as the power play and penalty kill, and his absence makes a huge hole
to fill. Maybe moreso than any other player, even Brian Bonin.

Denver played very even with the Gophers on Saturday night. In fact,
it was the first game in conference play where this has happened.
Despite many close games, including two losses, and a tie, Minnesota
dominated play in a significant portion of those games. Not so here.
Denver controlled the puck extremely well, keeping Minnesota from
bringing it into Denver's defensive zone. As it has been noted
before, Minnesota would not check.

In the third period, of course, Minnesota started it's fabled
comeback, but fell short. The third Minnesota goal, to make the game
4-3, got the team, and the crowd, fired up. We all started thinking:
Here it comes again. But Denver was impressive in holding on.
Surprisingly, the thing that interrupted the momentum of the game was
a Minnesota man advantage. But unfortunately, the power play is
fizzling for Minnesota (but, I'm happy to say, the penalty killing
stays strong). The attack looks weak and uncoordinated, and Denver
did a very complete job of stopping it.

All in all, it was a disappointing effort for Minnesota, but a
deserved outcome, as Denver was the better team in this game. I was
looking forward to the rematch...

                                                Lee-nerd

"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent." --Isaac Asimov