Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 91 11:46:08 LCL
Hello Hockey Friends-
   Well... I finally have something positive to report (for Dartmouth). As
most of you probably know by now, Clarkson tied Dartmouth on Saturday night in
what was undoubtedly the best game we played all year. It was particularly
inspiring since all the goals were scored by Seniors (including the game
winner by Chris Driscoll that was disallowed!). The team has worked hard all
year and has kept up their spirits despite a difficult season. At least three
starters have been absent from each game this year due to injuries. Combining
this with a new coaching staff having a different system, and a general lack
of depth on the team has lead to the worst season for a Dartmouth team (of any
kind - not just hockey) in the school's history.
   Yet at the team banquet on Sunday, there was a very positive feeling.
Everyone connected with the team felt positive about the team and the coaching
staff. As exemplified by the Clarkson game Saturday night, I think that Ben
Smith can indeed turn things around for Dartmouth. The caliber of play,
although spotty, is not accurately reflected by our record (as I'm sure
Clarkson folks found out on Saturday). Recruiting has gone well this year (and
the school has actually accepted some of the folks that want to come to
Dartmouth - unlike in the past few years) and we are all looking forward to
being competitive next year.
   I'd like to wish all of you good luck in the playoffs. We will be there
next year.
                               - Bob Gross