From:
Kenny Zalewski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 91 22:49:49 EST
OK, maybe I made this sound like a bigger deal than it really is, but hey,
he's considered to be the best official in the ECAC, and I admire him alot.

Saturday nite, Pierre Belanger reffed the RPI-Dartmouth (blowout) game at
the RPI Field House.  Well, I've met a few of the other ECAC referees,
including Harry Amian (who lives here in Troy, and who has helped me out
plenty in handling the officiating for RPI intramurals), and John Malinosky.
I figured this was my chance to meet the infamous Pierre.

I was actually a bit nervous about it, because on the ice, everyone fears
him.  He runs a tight game, and almost NEVER misses a call (as his fellow
ECAC officials will agree).  Well, I waited in anticipation while he
changed, and finally he came out.  I shook his hand, introducing myself,
and waited for him to speak.  Turns out, he's a really friendly guy, and
very helpful too.  I explained how I'm the head ref for the RPI intramural
program, and how I eventually want to move up to college or possibly pro
hockey.  He said that I'm at a great age [21] to start out right now, and
that the leagues are definitely looking for officials (geez, a shortage of
officials, I wonder why?  It's such a fun job...).

He then went on and talked about himself a bit.  He's a junior high school
teacher in New Hampshire, where he lives.  He refereed some of the World
Hockey League games (when it existed) and was even asked to join the NHL.
He had to refuse, though, because he "wasn't willing to travel that much,
but if you're not married, then it's great."  He is also one of the ECAC
officials who scouts new ECAC officials from NIHOA (high school level).
He took my name down, gave me his number, and told me to call him for
anything.  Needless to say, I was thoroughly impressed and grateful
for his time and help.  And that's it, my chat with Pierre.  The fire
has been ignited as I begin my climb to the top.  Hey, can you imagine
someday, having a real NCAA official on this list?  Might make it a bit
more, ummmm, interesting (to say the least)...

---
Kenny Zalewski -- Head Referee, RPI Intramural Ice Hockey Program
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 65 13th Street, 1st floor, Troy, NY, 12180
[log in to unmask] | [log in to unmask] | [log in to unmask]