From:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1993 11:15:01 CST
This is from today's Minnesota Daily.  I took the notes from the end and put
them first, because they might be of more general interest, although it's kind
of a nice feature story on the Woogs.

Gopher notes: Woog will dress seven freshmen this weekend: Nick
Checco, Jim Hillman, John Hillman, Brent Godbout, Dan Hendrickson,
Brian LaFleur and son Dan.

Defenseman Mike McAlpine suffered a strained left knee when he
collided with Jim Hillman in practice Tuesday. His injury leaves the
team only six-deep at defense.

Headline: Woogs reunite at weekend tilt
Publish Date: 11/05/1993

.RM138PT/By David Jackson

Staff Reporter

Hockey fans will need a scorecard to keep track of all the Woogs in
Marquette, Mich., this weekend.

While Gopher hockey coach Doug Woog prepares his Minnesota team for a
tough road series tonight and tomorrow, his younger son Dan prepares
to pull on his No. 23 maroon and gold jersey and his older son Steve
gets set to put on a green and gold No. 16.

Steve, a senior right wing for Northern Michigan will match up
against Dan, a redshirt freshman center at Minnesota.

"I look forward to playing every weekend," Steve said. "But it's
always a little more special to be playing against family. And the
rest of my family will be there."

Doug has had only one opportunity to coach Steve -- in a tournament
in Czechoslovakia -- and he says Steve would do well in the Gopher
program.

"Steve would have been all right in our system," Doug said. "He can
skate well and he would get the chance to think a lot.

"Steve was always a stronger skater. And he's more capable physically
at this point (than Dan). Dan has good hands and a good head. He's a
very cerebral player," Doug said.

Dan is what his father calls a late bloomer, and he worked hard in
the off-season to add physical strength to his already solid
playmaking abilities.

"He'd always get you the puck and know where you were," Steve said.
"He was always more concerned about you. I've always said I wish I
could play with him again."

Jan Woog, Doug's wife, said the two boys used to fight when they were
young, and maybe the rivalry was beneficial.

"Steve was always picking on Danny. I'd have to grab Steve by the top
of his head, and I wanted Dan to hit him back," she said, laughing.
"But now I'm thankful. Steve was preparing Dan for the competition he
was about to face later in life. Now they can hit each other all they
want."

But the two grew closer as they got older, and as college hockey
players they have a lot in common.

"Neither one of us is a big goal scorer," Dan said. "We both just try
to play defense and get our goals here and there."

Steve has become a key role player for Coach Rick Comley's Wildcats,
particularly on the penalty kill. Comley said it's an unappreciated
but invaluable role on the team.

"You have to work hard, be willing to block shots and anticipate
passes," he said. "And a lot of people only measure success in terms
of points."

Right now Steve has a leg up on both his dad and brother in one area
-- he has won a national championship. The Wildcats took the NCAA
title in 1990-91, beating Boston University 8-7 in a triple overtime
thriller at the St. Paul Civic Center.

"When you win the national championship, it's unbelievable, even
though I only played half the games that year," Steve said. "You're
on top for quite a while. All the work you've done in your life just
kind of snowballs. You can't believe it even after it's over."

For Dan and the Gophers, who stand at 0-3-1, this weekend's games are
the most pressing concern.

The Gophers face a Northern Michigan team whose home record is
impeccable. The Wildcats have a .727 lifetime winning percentage at
Lakeview Arena (238-83-20). But Minnesota is the only visiting team
to have a winning record there, at 7-6-3.

"I wouldn't mind scoring a few against him this weekend," Dan said.
"We really need a win. That's the most important thing right now."

And maybe Steve can also understand the slow start that plagues the
Gophers currently. His Wildcats started out 1-7-2 last season, but
rebounded in time to reach the WCHA finals and the NCAA quarterfinals
before losing to Boston University.

"I think they're going to be a lot like we were," Steve said.
"They're very young. They've got seven freshmen in the lineup, and it
takes time to adjust."

Whatever the success of the Gophers or Wildcats, there's more to this
hockey family than just the sport.

"They don't really talk a lot of hockey at home," Jan said. "They
never have, except for what team is doing what. They leave the
strategy at the rink."

"Actually, the common bond between us is fishing, then hockey," Doug
said. In fact, Steve said Northern Michigan gives him the opportunity
to pursue his interest in the outdoors. He goes bow hunting every
Sunday when the team is off.

But Dan and Steve always had a vehicle for hockey with the school
that Doug ran. He says they learned to instruct hockey and take
responsibility for themselves, and it's the knowledge of the game
they obtained that has earned them the respect of their teammates.

"The biggest thing is that they're both team players and they always
work hard. They have the respect of their teammates and that's
important," Doug said.

Regardless of the outcome of his sons' hockey careers, Doug Woog will
always play the role of proud father over the role of coach.

"They both passed my test. They both try hard and they're both
conscientious students," Doug said. "Maybe the hardest thing is that
they've had to deal with Dad's notoriety."

Pam Sweeney                            Go Gophers!!!
[log in to unmask]         1993 WCHA Playoff Champions!!!
[log in to unmask]              Ski-U-Mah!!!