Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 91 09:29:40 EST
Thanks to Kenny Zalewski for the words on officiating.

I haven't done hockey, but I've done High School level basketball and there
are some parallels.  It's a tough job; the rule books just don't cover the
judgements that have to be made.  If the call is made "the ref won't let
them play"; if the call isn't made "the ref has lost control of the game".
The consistency that fans want cannot be achieved because the players are
not consistent.

A parting shot:  Abuse of the referee is among the worst forms of poor
sportsmanship.  How about showing some leadership; quit booing the opposing
team (if they weren't playing, who would you be playing), leave the officials
alone (they'll do a better job if they don't have to worry about you along
with everything else that is going on) [and how about encouraging some
coaches to set a decent example] and above all CHEER YOUR OWN TEAM, they
need all the genuine help they can get.  Besides, if your team was really as
good as you think it is, they would win in spite of what the referee does.

Hey, Kenny; you said it better than I can; thanks a lot.