Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1993 14:42:38 EST

> From: James Ross <[log in to unmask]>
>
> >        Brian Morris wrote:
> >"Why did Harvard start Aaron Israel instead of Tripp Tracy?  Maybe Tomasson
> >(sp?) was trying to save Tracy for Saturday night, but I think a coach needs to
> >go with his best goaltender throughout the playoffs--a rotation just doesn't
> >work.  Can anyone remember who the #2 goalie was to Billy Smith when the
> >Islanders won all those Stanley Cups?"
>
> >        I am confused as to why people are criticizing Tomasson's decision to
> >go with Isreal against Clarkson.  Tracy is, arguably, one of the best keepers
> >to enter as a freshman in recent memory, however Aaron Isreal is no slouch
> >either.  Considering the fact that both keepers are freshmen, along with the fa
> >t that Harvard virtually secured a bid in the NC$$ with it`s superb regular
> >season play, I think it was a very wise move (for the future) for Tomasson to
> >give both of his freshman goaltenders a chance for post-season play.
>
> Now, I'm confused. I would assume that Brian was talking about the
> ECAC semifinal but Harvard played Brown not Clarkson. In the
> second to last game, when Clarkson visited Harvard, Tommassoni started
> Tracy... but I assume this game wasn't being refered to.
>
> I was surprised to see Israel play considering what I'd heard about
> Tracy but after seeing Israel play, I think they're both deserving.
> Israel may have a slight advantage in that he's much bigger while
> Tracy is quite small (5'10?). Still, I think it's a tossup but
> Tommassoni has to go with one or the other in the NC$$'s.

All year, Ronn Tomassoni has never publicly announced which of the two
freshmen goalies was the No. 1 goalie. Harvard has been used to having
a two-goalie rotation throughout the entire season -- including the
playoffs -- in recent years with Allain Roy and Chuckie Hughes (these
two rotated their entire freshman year in 1989 with Roy playing in the
NCAA semi's and Hughes playing in the finals).

I think Israel is just as good a goalie as Tracy. The two play
different styles -- Israel, who is bigger, is more of a stand-up
goalie. Also, at the beginning of the year, Israel was getting the
tougher assignments each weekend.

Also, it's interesting to point out that here on campus there have
been all kinds of comparisons to the 1989 season, how history is
repeating itself (people at Harvard are into that kind of thing).
Here are some:

1. Two freshman goalies -- 1989: Allain Roy and Chuckie Hughes
                           1993: Aaron Israel and Tripp Tracy

2. Returning Olympian -- 1989: Lane MacDonald and Allen Bourbeau
                         1993: Ted Drury

3. Strong sophomore class -- 1989: Ciavaglia, Donato, Weisbrod,
                                        Vukonich
                             1993: Steve Martins, Ben Coughlin, Brad
                                        Konik (injured)

4. Beanpot Championship over BU

5. Road sweep of Clarkson and St. Lawrence -- Harvard did it in 1989
        and did not do it again until this year.

After this weekend:

6. ECAC Regular Season title and ECAC semifinal loss
        1989: to Vermont
        1993: to Brown

And this which is really stretching it:

7. Lake Superior State as defending NCAA Champs -- the last time they
        won it was in 1988.

To continue with this theme:

Harvard fans should be rooting for the Wolverines basketball team as
the last Michigan won the NCAA Basketball Championships was in 1989,
when Harvard won the NCAA Hockey Championships.

Seriously, this kind of thing has been getting a lot of press on
campus.

Go Wolverines!

-- Lloyd Hsu