From:
Steve Philbrick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Philbrick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1993 22:16:38 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Droopy
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
|> >   F  Ted Drury, Jr, Harvard
|> >   C  Greg Johnson, Sr, North Dakota
|> >   LW Paul Kariya, Fr, Maine
|> >   C  Mark Kaufmann, Sr, Yale
|> >   C  Jim Montgomery, Sr, Maine
|> >   C  Derek Plante, Sr, Minnesota-Duluth
|> >   C  Brian Rolston, So, LSSU
|> >   F  David Sacco, Sr, Boston Univ
|> >   C  Brian Savage, Jr, Miami
|> >   C  Bryan Smolinski, Sr, Michigan State
|>
|> I'm sure that goalies like Chris Rogles, Neil Little, Scott Cashman
|> or Richard Shulmistra had unworthy seasons. Just because they were
|> key ingredients for their teams stretch runs and had excellent overall
|> seasons in front of average defenses is not worthy of a top 10
|> nomination (before I get flamed let me say that while Garth Snow
|> and Steve Shields have had excellent seasons, playing in front
|> of an airtight defense or an offense that always has the puck helps a
|> lot).

Sorry Bri, but I staunchly disagree with the last line.  While I can't speak
for Michigan, Maine's defense
is neither air tight nor does their offense "always" have the puck.  Maine's
weakness (no I'm not letting
our little secret out of the bag) is their all-too-frequent defensive laspes.
Granted, it is difficult for
them to stay focussed (defensively) when the offense is clicking, but they
often go to sleep
defensively after they build (what should be) a comfortable lead.  Case in
point is their loss to BU after
building a 6 to 2 lead.

A more recent trend (the last game with UNH and the Northeastern series {Friday
night only}) is for
Maine's opponents to outshoot them in the first period, only to have Maine shut
them down over the last two
periods.  Often, Snow and Dunham perform amazingly in the first period, keeping
the opponent from building a
lead they (seemingly) deserve.

Although Dunham and Snow have similar stats, I would include Snow on "my" Hobey
list, along with Kariya and
Montgomery (with Montgomery getting top billing).  Concerning Shields, I've
only seen him play once (gotta
love  those 3AM, tape delayed TV games).  With his numbers I am very suprised
he is not on the  Hobey list.
An important thing to remember is that Shields doesn't split his goaltending
duties with anyone the way Snow
and Dunham  have this season.  I would think that would have given him a leg up
on over any other goalie as
far as making the Hobey list.

|> >What the hell?  Are there no decent defensemen or goaltenders in the
|> >country?

Sure,  but fans would rather see someone put the puck into the net ... NOT keep
it out.

Steve Philbrick                          [log in to unmask]
Computer Science
237 Neville Hall                         WORK: (207) 581-3942
University of Maine                                  581-2260
Orono, Maine, USA. O4469

 "People are adventurous in direct proportion to their shortness of memory."
        -- Ned Gillette