Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1993 07:50:40 EST
I spoke with Michigan Coach Red Berenson last night after the airing of
a local radio show.  We discussed the possible seeding for the NC$$ and
the idea of seeding to maximize regional attendance.  Coach Berenson
said that heading into this weekend, the seeding of the CCHA/WCHA teams
are as follows:

    1. Michigan
    2. Miami
    3. Minn-Duluth
    4. Lake Superior
    5. Wisconsin
    6. Michigan State/Minnesota (too close to call)

[Erik, does this conform to current RPICH numbers?]

This scenario, if it holds, would send Wisconsin to Mass., something the
NC$$ wishes to avoid.  The impression I received from Coach Berenson is
that if the selection committee can find a way for Wisconsin and Michigan
State to play at Joe Louis Arena, they will.

IMHO, the pressure to "maximize regional attendance" sets up the
following possible scenario for the NC$$ (apologies to teams left
out, this is merely an example):

       WEST                               EAST
    1. Michigan                        1. Maine
    2. Miami                           2. Boston Univ
    3. Minn-Duluth                     3. Harvard
    4. Lake Superior                   4. Clarkson
    5. RPI/UNH                         5. Wisconsin
    6. Minnesota                       6. Michigan State

Thus, Wisconsin and MSU would play in Detroit and the Golden Gophers
would be the only CCHA/WCHA team travelling to the east coast.  Again,
IMHO, the pressure for attendance presents the possibility of
compromising the integrity of the seeding process.

Only time will tell.

    John H
    U Mich