From:
"(Wayne Smith)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Wayne Smith)
Date:
Thu, 17 Sep 1992 15:49:14 EDT
This is more NCAA athletics than HOCKEY, but it certainly applies ...

Stuart Haskell, Commissioner of Hockey East (and NAC, a 23-sport
non-hockey conference), was talking earlier this week about some
proposals that the college presidents are starting to discuss.

Stu offered no opinions in these subjects (I'll not be as smart).

Many of the new rules (such as limitations on numbers of coaches and
scholarships) have come into being due to the very difficult economic
times.  Here are two that are expected to be discussed in the near
future (My commentary in parentheses):

(1) Elimination of athletic scholarships at all levels.
    ----------- -- -------- ------------ -- --- ------

    (It's about time.  Sorry, but colleges and universities are academic
    institutions, not trade schools).

(2) Elimination of all off-campus recruiting.
    ----------- -- --- ---------- ----------

    Athletic recruiting last year was estimated to cost $300 million.

    (On the surface, this seems dumb and impossible to police.  I can't
    see beyond the surface.  Already, it seems that some hockey programs
    have laid off a part-time assistant (for recruiting), only to have
    that individual re-hired by the admissions department).

cheers,

Wayne Smith
The College Hockey Discussion List administrator
BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
internet:     [log in to unmask]