Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 1992 00:28:16 EST
A couple recent postings have noted HE's large number of out of conference game
s compared with other conferences.  Two things might explain this.  (1) HE has
the least number of conference games (21) of any league, therefore they have mo
re extra games to play outside.  (2)  By having their schools located so cose t
ogether they can pair with another HE team and host two other schools on one we
ekend, theirby increasing the number of opponents.  Such a pairing is harder ou
t west where distances do not allow for easy split weekends.  The ECAC also has
 teams close enough to provide these pairings, so this may explain their increa
sed number of opponents as well, although the Ivy limit of 4 non-conference gam
es counteracts this benefit a bit.  Another observation a little closer to home
, all this talk about interconnection requires a willingness to be both a host
and a visitor among the schools, something which is not always easy to achieve.
  This year, Cornell played no nonconference home games, and over the past few
years, they have played many more of their non-conference games away from Lynah
then have been at our rink.  I am not sure why this is, but it seems to me that
somewhere along the line someone should come to Lynah.  Admittedly with the 4 g
ame limit it is hard to schedule, but for example, last year we hosted BC, and
this year we went to Conte(nice building!).  If more of these could be develope
d, more interconnections could be made.
      This said, I must concur with the comments made about Maine.  Having had
my first chance to see them at Hockeyfest, I was impressed.  The team is very c
omplete and seemed prepared for whatever UNH did.  This should worry people, as
 UNH has had four tries at coming up with a game plan to beat the Black Bears a
nd came up empty (only one tie).  Having also seen the RPI team of '85(or '86?
sorry its late) I can see the comparisons, although I would say that this Maine
 team is a bit faster.
      UNH is a solid team as well.  They should do well in the tourney.  One
thing about the seedings, is it not true that seedings may be juggled a bit to
prevent conference foes from meeting before Albany, I thought I remember that f
rom before.  This might leave HE teams in 1,3,and 5 with 2, and 4 ECAC, to prev
ent conference rematches in Providence.  Also on the seedings, a lot of talk ha
s been made about where AA will be placed.  It seems to me that they might pref
er 6E over 5 or 6W since 6E is in Detriot, 1000 miles closer to Alaska than Pro
vidence.
      Lastly, the hockey last weekend in Boston was a great deal of fun, epscia
lly with the vocal contingents from each school.  For those commenting on the l
ower than normal Cornell showing, remember it was the beginning of spring break
, and unlike the last two years, the trip to Boston was not earned at Lynah.
      Now that the Cornell season has come to a close, I will sit back and root
 for our ECAC brethren from the North Country to give a good account and show t
he rest of the country how good our conference is.  Go Saints and Knights ( at
least until November).

     William Sangrey
     Cornell '87 and '9?
     Let's Go RED! (and ECAC friends)