From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 90 21:07:10 EST
    Sounds like business as usual for the Huntington Hounds.  Right, Kap?

Bill writes:
>     all.  I've seen a number of goaltenders (including some of Cornell's
>     own) have horrible games at Lynah Rink, but I have never witnessed any-
>     thing like Hopkins' performance last Saturday.

    Well, he was playing his first game since suffering a cervical
    cord concussion against St Lawrence early in the season.  Not that
    this should excuse him from keeping his head in the game, which it
    obviously wasn't.

>                                       I swear I saw a Northeastern player
>     laughing after this happened.

    Wouldn't surprise me.

>                       The game began to get a little rougher, and with
>     10:47 left, Kent Manderville and Paul Flanagan got into a fight.  Both
>     received roughing minors and ten-minute misconducts -- however, both
>     were sent off the ice.  I don't know why that happened, with 10:47
>     left.

    More business as usual for the Dogs - when getting pounded on the
    scoreboard, try to win the fights.  Did Manderville win it?  Flanagan
    has never struck me as a fighter, though I have never seen him drop
    the gloves before, so I couldn't say for sure.

    With 10:47 left in the game and each player receiving 12:00 in penalties,
    the referee sent them off so they wouldn't try to renew each other's
    acquaintance in the post-game handshake line.  This is not unusual.
    If NU had made the miraculous comeback to force OT, then they would
    have returned to serve the first 1:13 of OT in the box.

>                       Once again, Hopkins came out of the net to play the
>     puck, this time attempting a long outlet pass to defenseman Will
>     Averill, who was near the blue line.  However, the puck bounced off
>     Averill and caromed toward the empty Northeastern net.  It hit the
>     post, but Karl Williams was there to scoop it up and push it in.

    It doesn't sound like Hopkins deserves blame for this one.  Averill
    just has never returned to the form of his freshman year, when he
    looked like he had a bright future.  There have been great moments
    here and there, but he has been very inconsistent.

    I have to admit I wasn't very surprised when I heard the outcome of
    this game.  The Huskies really are struggling this year.  Well, maybe
    it will be easier for people to get Beanpot tickets. :-)

    - mike