From:
The Ugly One <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 1992 14:03:03 EST
You aren't the first person who has asked this.  I think there are a few
things to consider as to why Mark Richards was named the All HE goalie.

1.) Quality of the players in front of him.  Nothing against UMass-Lowell,
but they are nowhere near as good a team as University of Maine (* I
wonder if anyone can stop them for the National title.  Go Black Bears *).
Scary thought for you, imagine Mark Richards playing for Maine!  I
don't think Maine would have lost *ANY* games with him in net this year.

Garth Snow may be a good goalie, but when he has to stop about 20 shots
a game, most of which aren't high quality, how do you know if he's a good
goalie?   Mark Richards never got much help from his Lowell teammmates,
and with the possible exception of Mike Murray, is the reason that Lowell
did as well as they did this year.

2.) Number of shots Richards faced.  Mark Richards usually had in the ballpark
of 40 shots fired at him.  Snow was probably closer to 20-25.

3.) Where would their respective teams be without them?  Maine, they'd
still be playing for the HE championship (* hint, they're gonna beat BC *),
while Lowell would be competing with Merrmiack for the HE basement.

4.) On pure talent, I think Richards is the better goalie.  Mark Richards
has what I believe is the fastest glove I've ever seen.  I wish he was
wearing a Merrimack uniform after Jim Hrivnak left.  Snow may be good
(* the times I saw both of them this year, Richards was much better *)
but I think Richards is better.

5.) This may be a statement saying Richards has deserved better the last
4 years.

Either way you look at it, you couldn't lose.  Another thing to consider,
if you wanted to name an all HE team, with the possible exception of BU's
Tom Dion, the whole first team should be Maine starters.  Personally
I think the naming of Mark Richards as the first team HE goalie was
very good.  He deserved it.  I don't know if he's been drafted by the
pros or not, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a tryout this year
with the expansion teams if he hasn't.

Just my opinions...take them at face value.

Kevin

e-mail MIGHT reach me at:

"Second best IS second rate!!!"  -me
| Kevin Yetman                        | A dedication to the most beautiful girl|
| Merrimack College                   | I've ever seen:                        |
| Class of '92                        |   If I could see forever,              |
| e-mail MIGHT reach me at:           |   I hope I'd find you there            |
|     [log in to unmask]           |   Cause I love the way you smile       |
| MasterCraft, O'Brien Skis,          |   And how the wind blows thru your hair|
| Arctic Cat, Survivor, Night Ranger  |                        -me  1992       |
| and Richard Petty                   |                                        |
| The above three lines are the best  |                                        |
| of everything.                      |                                        |
|                         Second best IS Second Rate!!!                        |