From:
R David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Feb 1992 09:56:43 EST
At the venerable OSU Ice Rink 2/28/92

                1   2   3--T
Lake Superior   0   2   2--4
Ohio State      1   4   2--7

FIRST PERIOD

Scoring
1. OSU White (Fraser, Loney) 2:43

Penalties
LSSU, Beddoes, cross-checking, 7:12
LSSU, Strachan, elbowing 10:10
OSU, Schriner, charging, 11:54

SECOND PERIOD

Scoring
2. LSSU Barnes (Hullet, M.Smith) 1:26 (pp)
3. OSU Burke (Graham, Walsh) 3:37
4. LSSU Rolston (Faucher, Beddoes) 4:43 (pp)
5. OSU White (Richards) 8:26 (pp)
6. OSU Beaucage (un) 9:58
7. OSU White (D.Smith, Richards) 14:09 (pp)

Penalties
OSU Green, roughing, 0:43
OSU, Graham, holding, 4:12
OSU, Merriman, holding, 6:45
LSSU Peters, roughing, 6:45
LSSU Wetherill, holding, 7:35
OSU Merriman, slashing, 9:06
LSSU Mogner, slashing, 9:06
OSU Graham, high-sticking, 11:00
OSU Beaucage, interference, 11:56
LSSU Morin, cross-checking, 13:59
OSU Baldrica, hitting from behind, 18:17

THIRD PERIOD

Scoring
8. OSU D.Smith (White, Loney) 1:44
9. OSU Walsh (D.Smith, Loney) 11:23 (pp)
10. LSSU Mogner (Constantin) 12:25
11. LSSU Constantin (Strachan, Barnes) 17:30 (pp)

Penalties
OSU Green high-sticking 4:54
LSSU Ness, hooking, 10:43
LSSU Peters, fighting, game disqualification, 10:43
OSU Peters, fighting, game disqualification, 10:43
LSSU Hulett, hitting from behind, 11:35
OSU Loney, holding, 12:22
OSU A.SMith, holding, 15:31
OSU Riedel, high-sticking, roughing, 19:01
LSSU Moger, roughing, 19:01
OSU D.Smith, cross-checking, 19:46
LSSU Hulett, high-sticking, 19:46

Shots on Goal
                1   2   3---T
Lake Superior   9   10  19--38
Ohio State      6   10  4---20

Power Plays
LSSU 3 for 9
OSU 3 for 6

Goalies: LSSU-- Lacher (0:00 of first to 9:58 of second) 14 shots, 10 saves
             -- Madeley (9:58 of second to 20:00 of third) 6 shots, 3 saves
          OSU-- Bales 38 shots, 34 saves
--
Referee: Graf
Linesmen: LaDuke, Breach

A-1,327 (1450 seats)

What a long box score. Ohio State played a well-balanced, well-discplined game.
Coach Jerry Welsh used only three lines claiming that he only wanted the people
who worked hard to be on the ice.  I was worried about fatigue in the third
period, but the team held its own..  As I said last night, Blaine Lacher
started in goal for the Lakers in place of Darrin Madeley, and I still believe
that was a psychological and strategic error, especially with the LSSU being
only 3 points behind UM for first place.  With Michigan's loss to Feris last
night, LSSU blew a golden opportunity to catch up a bit.

Both teams came out lethargic.  LSSU was just standing in the offensive zone
waiting for play to come to them instead of making plays happen.  I wrote in my
notes that this would be to OSU's advantage since the less skating that
occurred in the game, the better the Buckeye's chances.  Sure enough, OSU got
on the board first  as frosh Sandy Fraser found Ron White at the LSSU blue line
during a breakout.  White went 1 on 1 with the LSSU defenseman on the right
wing and flipped a weak backhander that found its way between Lacher's pads and
trickled over the goal line.  OSU's power plays that period looked highly
anemic however as they only managed one shot on goal over their two first
period man-advantages. Solid defense and a good penalty kill of their own
preserved the 1-0 nothing lead for the Bucks into the second period.

It didn't take long for LSSU to get another shot at the power-play as OSU took
a penalty 43 seconds into the gastanza.LSSU showed good puck movement in
finding a wide-open man about 10 feet from Bales's right who slid it between
his legs.  I thought we might be in trouble with OSU's propensity to blow
leads, especially when Lacher made 3 incredible saves in a flurry just one
minute later, but. another OSU breakout was converted into a goal just one
minute after the flurry.  LSSU dumped and changed, and OSU dforward Scott Walsh
found John Graham at the LSSU blue line.  Graham and forward Greg Burke came
across the bjue line 2 on 3, but all three Laker defensemen moved to Graham,
leaving Burke uncovered.  A seeing-eye pass from Graham that went through all
three Lakers found Burke cutting in and he knocked it home.

Seconds later, OSU took another penalty, and the Lakers wasted no time in
converting.  OSU looked dazed and confused as the Lakers missed two easy
tap-ins, but finally got the third and tied the game at 2-2 just 1:06 after OSU
had taken the 2-1 advantage.  OSU showed a heart I haven't seen from them since
the Clarkson game and was able to rattle off 5 unanswered goals to take a 7-2
advantage into the last 8 minutes of the game.

Greg Beaucage went coast-to-coast on another breakout attempt and launched a
monster slap-shot from inside the blue line that caught Laher napping and
finished him for the night.  The goal gave OSU a 4-2 advantage as it followed a
power-play tally from Ron White just 1:32 before at the 8:26 mark.  As an
aside, and for anyone who has bothered to come this far, I hate the ignorant
fans that are at OSU games.  Every time a player has the puck on a power-play,
they yell, "Soot, Shoot."  OSU got their first pp goal of the game after
several pretty passes that found White all alone to Lacher's left.  White
walked in and fired a shot that deflected off Lacher's stick and in.  I said to
the people in front of me, "That is why you don't shoot."  I had had enough.

In the third period, OSU came out with one player on the forecheck and four at
the blue line.  Normally, I hate this strategy when used early in the third
period.  I have seen many teams turn blow-outs into exciting comebacks because
this strategy causes players to play "not to lose" and they tighten up and stop
doing the things that got them the lead.  Sure, it is fine to do this in the
final 6 or 7 minutes, but the whole third period is always a bad idea in my
opinion.  On the other hand, last night may have been an exception to this
position as OSU was only skating three lines and needed to conserve energy.

OSU did what it had to do early in the third; it got the first goals.  Any hope
of LSSU coming out fired up and ready to take charge were killed when Dave
Smith scored on a big slapshop from the right faceoff circle and again, on
another breakout where OSU was allowed to carry the blue-line.  Smith had a
wide-open cutter in the slot as he had broken in 2 on 1 and had drawn the
defenseman to him.  It was a case of "Pass, Pass, Pass....nice shot."
A second goal ten minutes later made the two Laker goals at the end a matter of
cosmetics.  Coach Jackson pulled Madeley on a power-play with 4 minutes left,
and essentially left him out the rest of the game, but the strategy only
generated one goal on a deflection from the point that went over Bales's glove.

In summary, OSU got great goaltending and great discipline to notch one of
their biggest wins of the season and to keep their slim hopes of catching BGSU
alive.  The Lakers got shaky goaltending and shaky defense, and really looked
like they never wanted to be in Columbus from the opening drop.  In the third
period, there was a real knock-down, drag each other to the floor and drop the
gloves and take off the helmets, NHL-style fight.  All you fight-lovers would
have enjoyed it as it was Peters vs. Peters.  OSU's Rob (6'6", 220 lbs) against
LSSU's Jim (6'2", 180lbs.).  Rob used hiis reach advantage to pummel Jim, but
both players got some good shots in.  Referee Graff issued both players an
invitiation to watch tonights game from the stands.  Graff did a good job
keeping control of play , although he was very slow with the whistle at times.
A Laker goal in the second period during 1:04 second of 5 on 3 for LSSU was
disallowed after Bales had the puck frozen for a good three seconds, but Graf
didn't blow the whistle until two Lakers had pried it from under his glove and
knocked it in.  Disallowing it was the right call, as Bales had control of the
puck, but the whistle hadn't blown until after the light came on.

Finally, the OSU power-play came alive against one of the nation's best kills,
and although they allowed 3 of 9, the OSU kill took care of business on the
penalties in the second period that could have really swung momentum in the
game had LSSU scored.  OSU dominated the even strength game,although being
outshot, by scoring 4 goals to LSSU's 1.  We'll see how they come out tonight,
but I have a feeling that Madeley will start this time.

--
Dave [log in to unmask]
Cornell '91 OSU Med '95