From:
R David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 1992 22:34:02 EST
Something must be in the water around college hockey these past two weekends.
Cornell, Minnesota, and Wisconsin all lose to teams that really shouldn't give
any of them any trouble, and now Lake Superior goes against meek Ohio State and
gets pounded 7-4.  The thing is, this game wasn't even that close as LSSU got
two meaningless goals late.

A major psychological error on the part of Laker coach Jeff Jackson.  He
started Blaine Lacher in place of Darrin Madeley, presumably to rest his
starter against the weeker OSU team.  (Madeley has 1519 minutes to Lacher's
326).  Surely, OSU had to know that LSSU was just one point out of first with
only two weekends to go.  To start your backup with the race for first so tight
and in the opposing team's arena was a major insult to the OSU players and to
the 6 seniors playing their last home weekend.  Add to that a team that is all
but out of the playoff race (trailing BGSU by 6 points with only four games
remaining) and is playing for self-respect, and it is hard to figure why coach
Jackson would give them one more reason to get fired up to play.  LSSU was
definitely bit by the Cornell bug as they came out lethargic and complacent,
assuming that a less talented team that has had a long season would just
concede the victory.  I will post a box and more details tomorrow, but I wanted
to get this out now.

BTW, the rink announcer gave a Hockey East update tonight.  Lowell 2,
Northeastern 1 I believe.  I was shocked.  We usually only get CCHA and
sometimes WCHA.

--
Dave [log in to unmask]
Cornell '91 OSU Med '95